Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Getting ready to do the belts and stuff. I noticed this in the A.M. Bike sat almost level on a 2x4 for 24hrs

And looking up

Should I replace the water pump while I am in there?

thanks

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

The water pump seal has failed. Yes, you would be wise to replace the pump at this point. It is not a difficult job . I would sugest that you gather up the parts you need before removing the front engine cover...that would be the pump, gaskets, orings. oil seal, coolant etc. I would also suggest that you purchase a new pump from Honda as opposed to getting one from an aftermarket dealer. The hardest part of the job will probably be removing the old gasket material.............

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Don't know what the temps are by you, but my 1100 tends to "spot" when it gets cold.Low 40's and lower. Once the temps and the bike warm up it all stops. I'm guessing its just contraction of the metal that causes the drips.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Oil can come from three places in there..around the bolts that hold the pump on to the casing..failed crush washers very unlikely, a failed oil seal usually caused by the pump shaft wobbling due to bearings going out..so new pump or the o ring at the back of the pump failing. All three require removing the front casing to get at the pump housing. You'll need a front casing gasket set aroudn $25 and a new oil seal not included in many of the gasket seats.

crush washers...in green

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

o ring

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

transmission cover

Attachments

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I've seen the first two drawings, but that last pic don't quite know what I am looking at there.

So I have to remove another cover besides the one to get at the belts. How hard a job is this? do I need some special tools?

Re: pump. I need to get an OEM pump - got a recommendation where? Is this high dollar?

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

The last pic is the cover you have to take off to get at the water pump it's not the cover for the belts just below it exposes the shift mechanism, oil and water ports..you have to drain the water and oil from the engine before you start. Just shows you all the o rings and collars that you have to change or at least make sure you don't loose. Once the cover is off you can remove the three blots from it's back to get the pump off..also be careful not to move the shift mech, clean the mating surfaces very carefully and completely and don't forget to route the neutral wire before you put the cover back on.

You pump can be rebuild if the shaft is not pitted..not a standard thing but the parts bearings and seal can be gotten for $25, new pumps $120 or so. There is a how to in the reference section. Here's what it looks like apart

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

That drip is a very small amount, mine has been doing that for 2-3 years and well over 10k miles.
I suggest remove the pump cover and check for play in the shaft.
If there is no play or very minimal, no antifreeze in the oil and no oil in the antifreeze then that pump has alot of life left in it.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

What do the numbers refer to?

thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Yep, I shoudl have mention that Dan... the wiggle check is a good place to start...

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

I do recall reading about the wiggle check on nakegoldwings.com

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
imported post

Just a general question , I noticed there were two spots of oil on the bottom of enginein the photo,... have you checked any other places for an oil leak? Like maybe the shifter shaft seal or maybe the valve cover seals? I'd still do a double check just to make sure, wouldn't hurt. As always it wouldn't hurt to get a manual or down load one and study it before you have to change it (oil seal). If that is what it is, as a recommendation, and if your time, money will allow it, since you have it apart I'd change out the water pump as recommended before. Good luck,:waving:Bob

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

That's exactly what mine looked like. The water pump has failed. gsmclean has the page above with fool proof directions on how to r &r the water pump. Please order your parts before you start and order them from a supplier you know and trust. My bike has been torn down for 4 months now waiting for all the parts to arrive. The seal kit just arrived yesterday. Order a NEW oem water pump. I go to put mine back together now, good luck with yours

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
You might want to have a look at this page:

How to remove and replace your water pump

Lots of instructions and pictures on the procedure.

Awesome directions there Scott. I don't have that series bike anymore, and don't have to replace a water pump, but I read through the whole thing anyway. Very clear and great pics. Mana to you...

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

DAMN!

That there is one hellofa writeup!

Thanks

Yeah gonna do it. It is starting to cost me $$ though. Kinda knew that, but I am unemployed (and doing fine thanks) and I shouldn't be spending let alone buying a new/used bike. I have MBS. Multiple Bike Syndrome!

I just spent $103 to transfer the title.

I was asleep at the wheel and let the PO put our agreed to $ on the title. That is what they charged me tax on of course. And a bevy of other little fees too.

I will get over it. I wish I could figure out a way to get money for nothing too.

Would you go with Bikebandit for parts?

Thanks a whole bunch.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

So any liquid coming from there is bad?

Mine is thin - like oil/water mix.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.