Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I tried to break it loose , could not And The mechanic was having trouble breaking the Axel/spindel loose on the front wheel, ( probably been on 20 years)using wrenches and a "rubber Mallet", so he said leave it there and he'll have to "Warm it up"? Will applying heat hurt any thing in terms of when he puts the new wheel bearing in? It's an after market "sealed wheel Bearing", also ? It's made by "All Balls" wheel bearings, they make good stuff, mostly for "Racing Bikes" !

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

A bit of heat won't do any harm. More acetylene than oxygen will loosen things up. Just as well he is replacing the wheel bearings as the heat would dry out the grease in the old ones.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
A bit of heat won't do any harm. More acetylene than oxygen will loosen things up. Just as well he is replacing the wheel bearings as the heat would dry out the grease in the old ones.
I wouldn't use my acetylene torch on the wheels. A heat lamp or heat gun is safer and will heat up the whole area better. As far as heat, I would heat the hub after you have the old bearings out and chill the new bearings to make them go in easier. You wouldn't want to reuse old bearings anyway. Roller bearings are okay but pressed in bearings are usually damaged by the removal process.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Acetylene is fine once you cut down on the oxygen. In fact if you cut down really low so that you have an orange flame instead of a blue one, that will produce less heat than a butane lamp that produces a blue flame. :)

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Budegan wrote:
Acetylene is fine once you cut down on the oxygen. In fact if you cut down really low so that you have an orange flame instead of a blue one, that will produce less heat than a butane lamp that produces a blue flame. :)
Amen to that. More control with the two bottles, just wear a mask when you cut down on the oxygen and all the black smuts start flying about. ;)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
Budegan wrote:
Amen to that. More control with the two bottles, just wear a mask when you cut down on the oxygen and all the black smuts start flying about. ;)
When hammer forming aluminum that's a common way to anneal, use almost pure acetylene, coat the area with soot, then bring up the oxy and heat till the carbon is burned off. That's why I like a heat gun or lamps for something like puttingin or removingbearings, you will really crud up a shop running a torch rich.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks again for the fast info !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.