Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Sometimes when I roll to a complete stop, and attempt to put my tranny in fist gear, I push and push and it does not want to fall into first gear. If I am rolling and gear down on the roll, I never hava a problem. Or, if i lightly let out on the clutch while taping down on the shifter it will click into first.But, if I am sitting still, sometimes I click, click, and click again and it won't go into first gear. Hope it is something simple! It is very aggravating, and embarrassing when you are trying to take off in second or third gear! :?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Mine often does the same thing sometimes. So I either downshift into first while I am slowly rolling, or once I have stopped if it is not wanting to go into first I put a little pressure on the gear lever while slightly letting out the clutch.

Chuck

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

It's a matter of how a motorcycle transmission works, not that there is something wrong with it. The dogs (pins) on the slider gear have to match up with the slots in the driven gear for it to go in. Letting the clutch out spins the gears and allows alignment. Don't sit at a stop with the clutch pulled in neutral, when ready to put it in gear pull in the clutch and shift into first while the gears are still spinning.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I have had that problem in other honda s such as CB750s. The problem can be your clutch isn't disengaging completely; that is why while moving it pops into first.

In my case, one clutch had plates with corrosion, so they dragged. I got new clutch plates.

Another potential problem; the clutch basket has fingers that slide into the clutch cage. If they develope burrs, then the will not move the clutch plates to be fully disengaged.

The easiest thing to try is to re-adjust the clutch cable, maybe too loose.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

When the problem is therefor a long time it can be tied to parts wearing. In this case it is good to shift while rolling.

If the problem is recent there are two additional things can contribute to the new challenge of shifting. The engine is internally dirty and can be helped by an oil change or better-yet drain some oil and add MMO or Seafoam (for oil), ride for 50-100 miles, and then change oil and filter.Secondlya high idle canprevent the easy syncing for shifting in 1st and neutral. The idle is best at 900 and many wings have a faster idle after they are warmed up a lot.

:goofygrin:Here's hopingany repairs wait til the end of the season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.