Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed the fork seals on my Aspencade:claps:. The seals were leaking on both sides but not too bad. I was still able however to maintain air pressure in the forks. After replacing the seal and filling with 5.8 oz of transmission fluid on each side I noticed that I had no travel on the forks. It pretty much stayed on the bottom end even with 20 lbs of pressure. After a week I rode the bike again and noticed that the travel on the forks improved considerably but not like the travel I had before we changed the seals.:lash:
Also the air pressure read "0" when I started bike after the 1 week time period since replacement. I pumped it up and rode for a bit and decided to replace the transmission oil with 10 sae Honda fork oil. :praying:
After changing oil in forks, they wont maintain the air pressure after pumping up to 20. It goes down in about 15 minutes. Heres my question.
Could the tiny "O" rings be bad allowing air to escape the system? I have not noticed any cracks in the air line leading from the pump and then to the cross over from the right fork to the left. And...Is there a airline fitting "O" ring kit or can I find these "O" rings at the local honda shop. I have heard that I could put air fill stems on the front forks and add 20 lbs that I would leave in perminately:?. I am curious why my forks have little to no travel or little to no suspension after replacing seals and oil. Any insite to this problem would be greatly appreciated.:bow:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Are the seals in the correct direction?
Stock springs or Progressive springs?
You may have a" fork stiction problem" on sliders sticking and not having free slide from binding in the travel., use the forum search tool.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
To look for leaks get a spray bottle filled with soapy water, spray the hoses and fittings and watch for bubbles. Also lift the dust boot on each fork and spray a little on top of the seal.

As far as the forks staying compressed it sounds like something is causing them to bind or they were somehow incorrectly reassembled. I'd pull the front wheel and remove the springs on both sides and check to see that the sliders will go from top to bottom freely.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yes the o-rings will need replacing, if the shop is old school they should have the o-rings, but if like most newer shops mentality is make the customer order rather than us having to stock simple parts let alone try to service the customers bike.
You might? find the right size in a kit from harbor freight?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great feedback

I appreciate the feedback. I am efforting this problem and will post an update later . Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.