Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt my front forks a year ago now they are not holding air. I remember reading somewhere that I can buy Springs to replace the ones that are in there and I would not have to worry about adding air. I have a 1987 interstate. I just wanted to make sure that I can buy some new springs and I would not have to worry about air again.
thank you for any advice on this matter.:praying:

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
YES.

If you replace your stock springs with Progressive Suspension springs, you don't need the air assist. I have them in my GL1200A. Much nicer ride than stock springs.

Progressive recommends "0" air pressure in the front forks when using their springs.

See their fork spring kit 11-1122, here:

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/prodSearchResults.aspx?yearID=1987&makeID=40&modelID=441

That said, when you do the install, you should try to determine the source of the leak, and correct it.

If you have an Interstate, it might be in the air equalizer tube (metal pipe) that run between the two fork caps and the rings/caps the pipe is connected to it on each side. There is a big o-ring on the ID of both of those rings/caps that has to be nice and fresh and greased to make sure it seals the air. You may need new o-rings in it.

If you have an Aspencade with the on board air compressor and suspension controls, there are a LOT more places that you could have a leak. Pull the suspension controls out of the fairing and look at all the air lines between it and the compressor and check for cracks or leaks. There are air lines between the solenoid valve on the back of the controls, the air dryer, and the air pump, both of which are located waaaay up inside the right fairing pocket.

A project for a rainy weekend is to remove ALL of that stuff (not easy, but doable), check the air lines and replace the desicant inside the air dryer. Without fresh desicant, the dryer will not be able to pull the moisture out of the air and you will be pumping moisture into your forks and shocks, which is bad.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bob

Thank you for the update. Over a year ago I took it all apart and did the rebuilt myself. I was able to buy new parts. But if im understanding you correctly I can buy the new springs and really not worry about the air. I have no air pump on it just manual. actually I took the whole bike apart stripped it painted , it looks nice.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I rebuilt my front forks a year ago now they are not holding air.
If they are not leaking fork oil, then the air leak is somewhere else. The fittings, the crossover, the lines, etc.
Factory specs are good for zero air pressure.
Do you not like the ride with zero, or are you just concerned that they won't hold air?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put progressives in and no more hassle with having to adjust air, or changing oil (old oil behaves just like NO oil in stock systems).

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
... actually I took the whole bike apart stripped it painted , it looks nice.
Good job!

You should post up a good picture of it so we can get a good look at her.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't care about the air, it's when I tap the front breaks the front end goes way down. Clunk clunk. If I put the new springs in then this should take care of this I hope. I do hope I understand that new springs and no air will be ok. Thanks for all help on this matter.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not sure

Not sure what this is, but what should it be set on? I'm going to go read my book now.

[sureQUOTE=Bike...and Dennis;2237034]What's your anti-dive set at?[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you

I've placed my order. Thank you. I put pictures on the galley as well I think if that is where they go. :shock:

YES.

If you replace your stock springs with Progressive Suspension springs, you don't need the air assist. I have them in my GL1200A. Much nicer ride than stock springs.

Progressive recommends "0" air pressure in the front forks when using their springs.

See their fork spring kit 11-1122, here:

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/prodSearchResults.aspx?yearID=1987&makeID=40&modelID=441

That said, when you do the install, you should try to determine the source of the leak, and correct it.

If you have an Interstate, it might be in the air equalizer tube (metal pipe) that run between the two fork caps and the rings/caps the pipe is connected to it on each side. There is a big o-ring on the ID of both of those rings/caps that has to be nice and fresh and greased to make sure it seals the air. You may need new o-rings in it.

If you have an Aspencade with the on board air compressor and suspension controls, there are a LOT more places that you could have a leak. Pull the suspension controls out of the fairing and look at all the air lines between it and the compressor and check for cracks or leaks. There are air lines between the solenoid valve on the back of the controls, the air dryer, and the air pump, both of which are located waaaay up inside the right fairing pocket.

A project for a rainy weekend is to remove ALL of that stuff (not easy, but doable), check the air lines and replace the desicant inside the air dryer. Without fresh desicant, the dryer will not be able to pull the moisture out of the air and you will be pumping moisture into your forks and shocks, which is bad.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not sure

what should it be set on? Im reading my book, but I don't see where it is.

QUOTE=Bike...and Dennis;2237034]What's your anti-dive set at?[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
anti-dive setting are 1-4,try 4 which should provide the least front end dive,but its possible that you really have worn out springs also

did you next closely that the valve core at the schrader valve isn't leaking

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I installed progressive springs last year. I took the front air system off. Now I can cross front air off the list. Be prepared for a big hassle putting the fork caps back on and don't cross thread them. It would be easier with help but possible to do by yourself which I managed to do.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Springs are in and ready to drive. Took 1.5 hours to remove old springs and install the new progressive springs. My wife even help me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.