Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all.
Does anyone know if a proper cruise-control can be fitted to an '86 1200 Aspencade?
I know of a couple of after market types of cruise that just bolt onto the bars and grip the throttle, but if there is a possibility of a proper one available, that would be so much better.
And,if they are available, where can they be found?
Thanks.
Phil.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

There's no electric cruise for the 1200, only the throttle chokers you probably know about already.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Ah, but there are cruise controls for the GL1200. There are people who have adapted automotive aftermarket cruise controls to bikes and there is a web site in Austrailia that offers kits. Check out:

http://www.mccruise.com/

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I didn't see any listed for the GL1200 exavid, but I didn't download all the .pdf's as I'm only on 56k modem. Great to see cruise now available for bikes that didin't have that option before.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Nice one exavid. The cruise controls on that site do look like a proper setup. I've also heard of some people adapting car cruises for the GL1200 and even the GL1100.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

:) Man that seems to be a very detailed and well thought out design for the 1200 series. But I guess I'm too set in my ways to upgrade from the old style throttle-locks,(Cheap and Lazy). Besides I haven't had arun over 350 miles per day in a couple of years.

Thanks for doing the research, those Down Under Boys sure are inventive... :D

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The SEI has a lot of nice features, but I think the best is the cruise control. Never had a bike before with it and love it. Really nice on the freeway (Don't know what you call it in Eire, the freeway that is). Keeps the old arthritic wrist a lot happier. A nice feature of it is the clutch switch, if you lose you mind as I'm wont to do and pull the clutch while in cruise it shuts things down preventing overreving.

I was reading Steve's information on Irish Motorcycle regulations and noticed the part about attaching sidecars on the left side. Driving on the left side doesn't seem too terribly odd but the idea of the sidecar on the other side is a mind boggler.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

exavid, we have dual carriageways and motorways. I suppose anyone fitting a sidecar just adapts to the way they have to ride it. We drive on the left so sitting on the right side of a rig makes more sens here because of that. The other way makes more sense for countries that drive on the right.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Of course you're right Jason, it's just the thought of sitting on the bike and looking to the left at the sidecar. It's similar to the changeover of the motorcycle shifters, my first bike had the shift lever on the right, when I changed to a Japanese bike and had the shifter on the left it was a bit disconcerting. More than once I managed a rather crude downshift thinking I was going for the brake and naturally a couple times on the brake expecting a downshift.

These things can get ingrained a bit, after many days of driving a manual shift motorcoach with a non-syncronous transmission you don't want me near a stick shift car, I tend to stomp pretty hard on the clutch twice on each gear change. Luckily the shifting on a bike is different enough that it doesn't confuse with bus shifting.

Old dog and new tricks I guess!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.