Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there a "special" battery for the 1200 LTD? I was told by a former owner of a Gold Wing that due to the fact that the trip computer clock and display is on all of the time that there is a special battery just for that.:?:headbanger:

Is he right or is he full of beans??

Just put a battery in the bike after I bought it and went out to start it yesterday after a week and no start. Yes yes I know that I live in the cold climes and need to keep it on charge but the last guy kept it on the charger and burned out the old battery. When I get home I'm going to pull the battery and put it on charge for 24 hours.

Is there any way to disable the on-board trip computer display to help save the battery life. I know that it is an LCD display and doesn't take much voltage but still.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Bikemaster 12V22 sells for around $130.00 or the Bikemaster Y50N18LA which sells for around $75.00 will (physically) fit the GL 1200.... The 12V22 has more cranking amps. Neither my manual, nor cross reference guide specifically dictate one battery over the other... If it were mine and I had the means, I would "bite the bullet" and get the 12V22 (although that does not necessarily mean it has any more capacity than the Y50N18LA) As a side note, the 1200L operates on a (normal) 12 volt system, so aside from some battery drain for the (special) electrics, it's a normal system... If the bike will be sitting for awhile, pop a self monitoring trickle charger on it.

I actually ran a car battery on my '81 wing for about a year... I bungee strapped that critter onto my passenger pad, ran some wire and voila, worked great.... I have a detailed article on how to add a second battery into the bike's wiring if you are interested... That way, you KNOW you'll always have enough power. =)

http://www.htctech.net/~squirts/techtips.htm

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yeah, I guess that the CCA's is important to remember especially when it is COLD! Thanks for the info and to let you know that I will be adding your link to ny favorite sites. Outstanding information, Ilike the trick with the dual battery set-up. Welcome to the forum!!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

No special battery that I know of. But, like you, when it would get into the lower 30's and into the 20's and I couldn't ride because of ice or snow for a few days, my battery drain would show itself. I also have that "on all the time" LCD display on the trip computer. What I do now, is if I know it will be several days or more before I can ride again, I bring the battery inside and keep a battery tender on it.

I also like the idea of the two battery wireup. I'm going to have to try that link now and see what is all involved with it.

Also, if previous owner burnt up a battery with a charger, it was probably a straight trickle charger. Make sure you get the one that shuts off when charged and then maintains the voltage. I always leave mine set at 1 amp. That's why I bring my battery inside where it's warm. I've tried leaving it outside plugged into the battery and if it gets real cold, it seems to not keep up the charge. Or at least the tender I have doesn't seem to.

Ride safe and keep warm out there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.