Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My GL-1200 has not been right ever since I got it - it's been "good enough". It's been almost a year now and I'd set aside the time to tear into the project.

Symptom: Gets to 80mph without problem, but if put at WOT, or anything above 4k RPM in top gear, seemed to suddenly run on 3 cyl and very ragged. To get it above 80mph required patience and it would slowly climb to 90 - which is about where it'd top out.

My plan: Rebuild a set of carbs, swap em, diagnose mine later.

How it worked: Not well.

I swapped out the carbs for a set I rebuilt. I did my best, but something is wrong. I don't know what - but I finally stopped trying.

I turned my old carbs upside down on the bench and took off the float bowls for a looksee.

I found the main jet in one of the carbs was unscrewed.

I used my new float bowl gaskets on my "old" set, put em back together.

Result: Runs perfect!!!! I took it up to 100 w/no problem. After 80mph it just keeps pulling. Runs as good as the Aspencade I sold to Scott Clark. :action:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

great find nothing you can do about that but what you did. good job.:clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Geez, I gotta say it's really really fun to have the 1200 running "perfect". I'm so used to the 85mph "speed limit" from the dropped jet.

Now it just keeps pulling at 80. Today I hit 105 on the freeway with it. (in California's Inland Empire it's easy to find a VERY empty section of I-15. You can wick it up without being a danger to other drivers on the road).

That said - my observation - up to 95 or so - you don't really know exactly how fast you're going without looking. Right about 95 or 100 - you know it's really fast. Something in the GL-1200 changes there to let you know that this is warp speed for this unit.

The GL-1500 doesn't do that same metamorphosis at 95. It takes 115 or so before the 1500 feels "really fast". The Triumph takes 120 to really feel it. 110 or so is a non-event.

(this post specifically details me breaking traffic law in the United States. The reader should assume this entire post is a work of fiction, meant only to entertain the reader.)

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Um, license and registration, please...

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I pulled the whole carb setup out today and changed the leaking float bowl gasket.

What a lotttta work - but the results are 100.00%.

I tried a right-angle screwdriver to pull the bowl without removing the whole unit. That worked for 3 outta 4.

I wish I could have done it without entirely removing the carbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.