Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have my 84 Interstate that needed a Carb-sync. After the first sync attempt, I didn't yet re-assemble the lower fairing plastics. I thought I might "touch it up" the next day anyway.

So the next morning, I took the bike to work - 60-mile ride along Interstate 5, in Coastal North San Diego county. Cool morning, 60s outside.

Darn if the 1200 isn't running somewhat warmer than normal!

On such a day I can normally count on the temperature gauge being about the "11:00" position, or about the split between the thin and thick white line on the gauge (for those familiar with the Interstate).

Without the lower fairings, it was running at the "1:00" position, not close enough to the Red to make me worry, but noteworthy.

I got it home, and reassembled the plastics. I took some superglue and made sure the rubber radiator shroud pieces were securely affixed to the plastics on the left and right side. Time had done them no favours and they could have easily fallen off.

Today with all the bits and pieces in order, temperatures returned to my normal expectation.

Guess I'm not the smartest at times. I initially didn't think it would have a noticeable negative impact.

:?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

I'd never thought about it but it does make sense as the lowers act as a funnel for the radiator.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.