Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well as I posted in previous posts my 1986 Aspencade quit moving. Put it up on the center stand today and was able to rotate the rear tire fairly easily. It made a clicking grinding noise as it turned. I was able to make the tire rotate 360 degrees.

Upon disassembley I found the the drive shaft at the end that inserts into the final drive seems worn down to nothing. The splines on the wheel and the part that mates to the wheel look good.

The female part of the splines looks as if it bolts to the final drive. Can I remove that and get a new one along with a drive shaft and bolt the parts back up? It looked like that there was no grease on the parts at all...ever? There is a seal on the shaft and the bolt that holds the female part of the coupling is hollow. It some oil from inside the final drive supposed to work it's way into that cavity?

There was very little oil in the final drive. However, it rotates smoothly. Should I disassemble that part for inspection?

Anyone know good salvage yard in Houston?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

If the oil was low, you might be better with a used final drive. There are still plenty of trike take-offs for sale.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Choppas,

I was thinking replacement as well. The oil seemed to be virtually non existant. I will see if I can find a final drive and drive shaft assembly; possibly an entire wheel, caliper assembly.

T

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Choppas,

I was thinking replacement as well. The oil seemed to be virtually non existant. I will see if I can find a final drive and drive shaft assembly; possibly an entire wheel, caliper assembly.

T

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well it seems I will need the drive shaft and the final drive cup. Anyone have a bad final drive on which the final drive cup is good?

There are plenty of drive shafts on E-bay. However the final drive cups go with the final drives it seems.

I was thinking that maybe one of the wrecked final drives might still have a good cup...just sayin.

t

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.