Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello does any one know if a 1986 aspy motor will fit on a 1984 interstate. Is the wiring and motor mounts the same .

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
It will fit however there are some wiring differences.

Your 84 had the pulse generators in the rear rather than the front and the Aspencade has six wires coming from the gear switch rather than the three on your Interstate.

All this can be overcome. Also the 85 and later GL1200's are lower geared than the 84.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
you can swap the cover that has the switch and you're ready to go in case engines are not the same (interstate and aspencade)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank to all my 84 has motor noise and after you ride for a short whileit has tapping.sound from valve train. I found the 86 aspy with 30 000 on it but hasn't been starts since2007. Carbs are froze up but motor turns over were is the switch gear located

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
were is the switch gear located
The gear indicator switch is inside the front transmission cover next to the water pump.

There's likely no reason to change it, just cut the six wires and connect the three you require to your old plug. The colours of those required wires are the same on the Aspencade and the Interstate.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
How loud is the tapping. i'm told the 1200 have noisy valve trains
Wilf

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
How loud is the tapping. i'm told the 1200 have noisy valve trains
Wilf
And who's the liar that told you that?
If the automatic adjusters are shimmed properly they're as quiet as a mouse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My valve startsoff q.uite after riding a while left side has loud taping sound that comes and goes I have replaced lifters and shimed to spec also gauged rocker arms. When noise starts I let off throttle AMD noise stops for a while

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
My valve startsoff q.uite after riding a while left side has loud taping sound that comes and goes I have replaced lifters and shimed to spec also gauged rocker arms. When noise starts I let off throttle AMD noise stops for a while
Actually that is pretty common on the 1200's. Some bike do it some don't. I've had 3 1200's and only one of them did it. Usually I notice it after sitting at a red light then I pull away and about the time I hit second gear it starts rattling. Only last 1 to 3 seconds or so. I was worried about it at first but since then I've learned that some of the 1200's do it without any apparent bad effects, other than the noise, so I pretty much ignore and expect it. The 1200 was honda's first foray into hydraulic lifters and I think they got it right on the 1500. Maybe not as they went back to mechanical lifters on the 1800.

I do know that the more I ride the 1200 the less it does it. So the real "fix" for the noisey valves is to ride it more!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
My 86 interstate has a 6 wire plug for the transmission plug. I put an aspy motor in it and it had the No wireing needed. The pulse coils are different. But I'm not sure about the gear ratio. I thought all 1200's were the same.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
My 86 interstate has a 6 wire plug for the transmission plug. I put an aspy motor in it and it had the No wireing needed. The pulse coils are different. But I'm not sure about the gear ratio. I thought all 1200's were the same.
As far as I know all Interstates had three wire gear indicators, N-4-OD. The wiring diagrams in my Honda manual say so.
And yes the 84 was a one of gearing. That was changed in 85-87 supposedly for better fuel economy but are lower geared than the 84.
Takes the edge off I want a sixth gear doesn't it.:?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.