Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,been a while but i'm having a big issue with my fuel system and supposed to be going for my m.o.t on Thursday.
the problem is as soon as I turn the bike over fuel pours out of the top connecting pipe between the two carbs on the left,mine has a T piece there and it just flowing out.
took the carbs off to have a look and the rght breather is the same Tpiece with no pipe connected so nothing has come of I think.
any help would be greatly appreciated,cheers,Bash

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Sounds like fuel flowing out of the bowl vents due to stuck or misadjusted floats.

Could try tapping those two bowls with the handle of a screw driver. They could shake loose. However, they could also stick closed thus shutting off the fuel to those two carbs.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Sounds like fuel flowing out of the bowl vents due to stuck or misadjusted floats.
+1. Those are indeed the bowl vents. Either one of the floats have sunk, or the needle and seat isn't closing.
Tapping may help. It may just be some crud under the needle.
Turn the fuel pet **** off.
Start and run the engine until the bowls empty, and the engine dies. The floats should now be hanging, with the needles off the seat.
Turn the fuel back on and start the engine. HOPEFULLY, the fuel will wash the needle. It's the only alternative to disassembly.
It would have to be a pretty badly adjusted float to pour out the vents.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I almost said scratch the misadjustment of the floats.
Assuming no one had fumbled with the Carbs since last run (unknown answer there) the adjustments should be fine. However, it is a distinct possibility although I would think it would flood out first.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
GL1200 floats are getting old. Eventually the seals on them stop sealing, then the float stops floating.
I've had 2 give up on me. When the second one went, I just replaced them all.

·
Premium Member
2004 1800 Trike
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys,ended up taking them apart and after a little exploration it was a stuck jet,carbs were surprisingly clean inside which pleased me,
on another subject my Haynes manual says the foot pedal operates the front left and the rear,mine does the right and the rear,is it a misprint.
thanks again,Bash

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
thanks guys,ended up taking them apart and after a little exploration it was a stuck jet,carbs were surprisingly clean inside which pleased me,
on another subject my Haynes manual says the foot pedal operates the front left and the rear,mine does the right and the rear,is it a misprint.
thanks again,Bash
No, not a misprint. Just a good reason not to pay any attention to it. Especially when it comes to carbs.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
my Haynes manual says the foot pedal operates the front left and the rear, mine does the right and the rear, is it a misprint.
thanks again,Bash
Yes, it is a misprint. GL1100 and 1200's with linked brakes use the right front and the rear (left).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.