Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi new to the forum- I bought a 1984 Aspencade in Oct. 08 with 37kbike apparantly had been sitting for around 12 to 15 years. Have been through the brake system all new pads seals etc. ,carbs,tank has been off and all rust removed ,fresh fluids,new fork seals and oil the list goes on and on (Iwill stop rambling b/c you've all heard this story before). The guy I bought the bike said he put a new fuel pump on andit looks new but it has stopped working (probably due to him trying to run it with the old gas and rust flowing through).I am having a problem locating a used pump at a reasonable price anda new one just isn't happening. Money isn't plentifulas the economy gets worse and I would like to ride as the season is getting closer. I had the idea of installing an aftermarket pump inside the false tank and leaving the old one in place so the bike still looks correct. Re-route the hoses and wiring make everything look stock but not be. Has anybody ever tried this before and what were the results? It makes sense to me that this would be acceptable since I'm only trying to get fuel from a to b.

Thanks for reading thisand don't think I'm being cheap or wanting to do this half a$$ed I just simply can't afford to dump any more money into this thing at this time.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

randakk has a electric pump for 1000's it may work on your 1200

are you sure it is the pump.... it could be the relay has gone bad.... make usre there is power at the connector to the pump first

on my 86 the relay is bad and I run power off the accel connection

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

also.... on an old bike (especially if it sat) never trust that any of the connectors are making good contact.... a good sleaning top to bottom cannot hurt (of connectors)

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

There are a few on ebay right now. You should be able to find a stock pump at a reasonable price.
Try putting a request in the For Sale/Wanted section of this forum.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Dave,
Was having the same problem on my '84 Aspencade. Really frustrated to the point of installing a different pump. After some sage advice, and some troubleshooting, I found that my problem was the relay, not the pump. Bought the relay for $35 and the bike fired right up.

The pumps I've purchased have been off Ebay for no more than $50-$60. You can also get them from salvage yards although I've found that they cost a little more.

Check out my recent post and the advice given on this subject. Pay particular attention to the diagrams from Tricky. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/63621.html

The relay is kind of tough to get to, but easily replaced once you get to it.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks to allfor the advice but we took the pump off my uncles 85 Interstate and it runs great so it looks like I'm gonna try an aftermarket pump. Dave:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.