Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:waving:Hello fellow wingers!

I have managed to fix both my rear wheel noise problem and noise coming from front of motorcycle thanks to some Goldwing Experts on this forum...Thanks Again!:)

Now that I finally fixed those problems I thought I'd be able to ride my Wing:clapper:, but...a new problem came up:(. Shifting down to make a stop, the gear shifter locked-up on me and I was not able to bring it down to 2nd Neutral or 1st. Only a few minutes after trying to play with the shifter and clutch, was I able to change gears. I went home ok (shifting and all) but once I came home it locked-up again on me.

Does anybody have a clue to my problem?:stumped:

Thanks

Gilles (Midnight Frog)

Mileage:64,500 miles

1984GL1200 Intersate

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Gilles, there was a thread about this just a couple of weeks ago. Do a search for it as the answers you need may be there already. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Unless the shift linkage is bent, there really isn't much that will go wrong with these transmissions. May I suggest changing the oil to 10 / 40W and a 1/2 quart of MMO, and run it for a couple of hundred miles. I know shifting may be a little difficult for a while, but once the clean oil gets up into the rods and shafts, they should loosen up. Then, change the oil & filter again with fresh 10 / 40W, or if it very warm where you live, go to 20/50W and ride. We have found that if sludge builds up on the transmission parts, they will bind and hang due to the tight tolerances.

I had the same problem with my 86 Aspy which sat for 2 years and has only 25k miles on it.. The steps above is what I did to relieve the tranny hard shifts and hang-ups. It performs like new now..

HOWEVER, if for some unknown reason the shift linkage is damaged, pull the front engine case off and inspect what is visible BEFORE you pull the engine to crack thecase... That's the last thing you want to do.

How was the bike shifting before you did the rear wheel thing?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the reply Renagade

I had no problems with shifting before doing any work on the rear wheel. I should however mention I have only put on 200k on the bike since I bought it in May.

I will try replacing the oil..however I have no clue to what MMO is, could you clarify?

Gilles

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Midnight Frog wrote:
:waving:Hello fellow wingers!

I have managed to fix both my rear wheel noise problem and noise coming from front of motorcycle thanks to some Goldwing Experts on this forum...Thanks Again!:)

Now that I finally fixed those problems I thought I'd be able to ride my Wing:clapper:, but...a new problem came up:(. Shifting down to make a stop, the gear shifter locked-up on me and I was not able to bring it down to 2nd Neutral or 1st. Only a few minutes after trying to play with the shifter and clutch, was I able to change gears. I went home ok (shifting and all) but once I came home it locked-up again on me.
Gilles, I can't help you directlyon your lock-up problem but my friend had a similar shifter lock-up on his early 1200 Wing & it turned out to be something with the shifter pawl spring inside (a real pain to repair according to him). He is out of town for a vacation but when he returns I will ask him the specifics if you haven't figured it out by then.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

two others of us have had this problem. I went ahead and changed out the external shift mechanism, and so far, so good.. but then again we haven't done much riding since then either, so I don't know if that fixed it or not. The two times it locked up it was alsways in third gear, and both times we were in stop and go riding on Christmas toy runs... however, I was not driving the bike either time (wife's bike) I was riding my avatar

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

MMO is Marvel Mystery Oil... It works wonders, but don't leave it in for more than 200 miles...

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the reply Rodger!

At first I suspected the mechanism to be faulty...but now, I suspect it is aclutch and or mechanism problem.

After putting the bike on its center stand and starting it up in neutral (yes, I was able to put it in neutral finally after resting over night), I cant seem to work the clutch properly. I put it in first and the darn thing engages right away without me releasing the clutch. I have verified the clutch oilcylinder and found lots of deposit in the bottom (a sludgy darker substance). I have done a bleed on the system and will try it tomorrow...however I do not know how much freeplay should the clutch lever have?

My lever reaches the handlebar grip. I was also wondering what the switchwas for?

Thanks

Gilles

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The clutch will come all the way to the handle on the two Goldwings I've had. Sounds like you might benefit from a real good clutch system flush, get all the crud out before it plugs up something. Bleeding the clutch is one of the more exasperating things to do on one of these bikes. You may have to crack the banjo bolt at the master to bleed off a bubble or two besides using the bleed screw. Sometimes it's necessary to tie the clutch lever down over night to get the thing working right.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Help!:crying:

I am trying toflush the clutch system but am a bit discouraged.I have followed the procedure from my Haynes manual but with no success.

I have also seen a procedure with a syringe but am scared to get oil on the fairing or some other painted part, even though it is covered. Is it possible to pull the oil into the syringe from the bleed nipple in order to extract the air instead... if so I must have lots of air...bubbles keep coming out non stop. I have verified my lines and cannot see any leaks.

I also saw a procedure leaving the clutch lever pulled in overnight. Must I leave the bleed nipple slightly open for this or must I close it completely.Must I also reinstall the MC cover?

Hope someone can shed some light on this situation...:(

Gilles (Midnight Frog):12blue:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Midnight Frog wrote:
Help!:crying:

I am trying toflush the clutch system but am a bit discouraged.I have followed the procedure from my Haynes manual but with no success.

I have also seen a procedure with a syringe but am scared to get oil on the fairing or some other painted part, even though it is covered. Is it possible to pull the oil into the syringe from the bleed nipple in order to extract the air instead... if so I must have lots of air...bubbles keep coming out non stop. I have verified my lines and cannot see any leaks.
You can suck the fluid from the caliper with a syringe or hand vacuum pump. It's a common way to do it. You'll need a fairly large syringe to be effective. Crack the bleeder while applying suction and close it before the suction stops.
I also saw a procedure leaving the clutch lever pulled in overnight. Must I leave the bleed nipple slightly open for this or must I close it completely.Must I also reinstall the MC cover?
ALWAYS keep the bleed nipple closed unless you have some pressure on the fluid or you will just suck more air in. You can tie the lever down and leave it overnight, with the master cylinder cover just sitting in place if you wish, it shouldn't be left completely off off or you could get dirt in the fluid.

You do have a lot of air if you are still seeing bubbles. Let's go over the procedure one more time just in case.

1. Make sure your reservoir on the master cylinder is full and don't let it get empty at any time, refill as needed.

2. pump your clutch lever several times, hold it down without releasing and slightly open the bleednipple on the clutch slave cylinder. Close it immediately once the flow stops.

3. Repeat, keep checking the master, don't let it run dry. Repeat until no more bubbles show up.

4. Pumpthe clutch lever, hold it down and crack the upper banjo bolt momentarily and then resnug without letting go of the clutch lever.

5. If you still don't have normal clutch operation, tie back the clutch lever and leave it over night.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Paul...I will try this tonight!

Gilles (Midnight Frog)

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

:cheeky1:Once again I was able to rectify my problem with the help of so many dedicated Goldwing owners. I tried the over night wait with the clutch lever tied back and guess what?....yes! I now have a good feel on the clutch. Much harder than before. I will be riding the bike tonight to see if it still locks up or if the clutch was my main problem.

Thanks again Paul and all the others that replied to my topic with so many good tips!

:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Midnight Frog wrote:
:cheeky1:Once again I was able to rectify my problem with the help of so many dedicated Goldwing owners. I tried the over night wait with the clutch lever tied back and guess what?....yes! I now have a good feel on the clutch. Much harder than before. I will be riding the bike tonight to see if it still locks up or if the clutch was my main problem.

Thanks again Paul and all the others that replied to my topic with so many good tips!

:waving:
Hey Midnight Frog:waving:, Way to go.....:clapper: Might be a good idea to give Paul & Renegade some Mana.....;)if you haven't already....

dean_3326 :12red::cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.