Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Brookville Motorsports
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm doing head gaskets on a 1985 GL 1200. I have not taken the tappets out of the cam cover. The cam covers were removed and the camshaft so the heads could be trued up and they did need trueing. The book says to bleed the air out of the tappets. My question is since I have not taken the tappets out of the holders do I need to remove and bleed them? Won't they bleed themselves on start up?

Thanks,

BMS

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

According to Honda's service manual… Yes, if you replace the head gasket.
They have a list of things (cam shaft, head assembly, rocker arms, etc) that are supposed to require rebleeding and/or re-shimming of the HVA's.

What I've found is…. probably Not. If you are replacing an OEM gasket with another OEM gasket… the Honda quality is such that you most likely will not have to re-bleed the HVA's as long as you haven't disturbed them.

Now, replacing a camshaft or a head assembly is totally different. You would need to rebleed and reshim the HVA's for those.
But I'd say you have a really good chance of not having any problems
what-so-ever as long as you're going to put in a HONDA OEM gasket.

By the way… don't forget to replace the 2 little orings on the oil jet.

·
Brookville Motorsports
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

rayworx,

I'm not sure what difference the head gasket makes but I don't have OEM's. I had the heads resurfaced so I had to remove the camshaft and the valves. I seated the valves and put in new valve seals put the camshaft in and the cam cover. Though I never had the tappets out of the camholder they have probably have lost thier prime. As far as shims and setting the valves I have no idea how. It sounds very involved with a lot of special tools I don't have.

Any help is graetly appriciated.

BMS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.