Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My new-to-me GL-1200 was giving me some troubles. Intermittent operation, touchy to get the key to "turn-on". I decided to get the ignition switch out and rehab it, or at least know what I needed to buy.

I'm writing this for those that may be experiencing the same thing.

If you don't ride often or just purchased a bike that wasn't ridden often, this thread is for you.

Tools Needed:

10mm wrench
Flat screwdriver - medium size
Electrical Contact Cleaner (NOT Carb Cleaner)
Pencil Eraser

First. Disconnect the negative lead from the battery.

Second, locate the bolts that hold in the ignition switch. These are "behind" the switch. You need not remove anything to get to them. It will take a few mins, as you have limited space for the wrench to travel. One of those Sears Craftsman ratchet wrenches does really well.

After the two bolts are removed, you are now dealing with the ignition switch - but it is still tethered in place with the wire ties and eventually, the connection itself. The connection for the cable is on the interior of the fairing. On the right-hand side, under a rubber protective cover. You may find it very handy to remove the RHS pocket, and rubber cover that is around the fork.

At this point you should be holding the complete ignition switch in your hand, complete with wire. Take it to your workbench.

Using the flatblade screwdriver, put pressure on the tang that holds the bottom wire assembly to the mechanical locking unit. The electical switch should nearly pop-out in your hands.

NOW BE CAREFUL WITH THIS STEP. Carefully separate the white ring from the black base of the electrical portion. There are loose/spring-loaded pieces here, so be slow. Anticipate this, and be in a position so that a dropped part goes to your workbench.

Now you're looking at it, and getting the picture on how this works. Use the spray electrical contact cleaner and pencil eraser to make all the pieces nice and uniformly shiny.

Reassemble.

You may choose to take this opportunity to lubricate the pieces of the parking-lock mechanism, since you have it all "in-hand".

Electrical demons must now look for another place to live!!!

Rusty.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Thanks dumb me. i just went to the garage and felt the bolts right under the switch, thanks might get it out some day. sometimes have to tap it cuz it wont go on sometimes.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Nice post and very well done. You can also call your local Honda repair shop with the VIN in hand and ask them if your bike qualifies for the ignition switch recall campaign. If it does Honda will pay for a new ignition switch and the labor to replace it regardless of the age of the bike since it is a safety related recall campaign.

Vic

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Check back tomorrow for a pic. :)

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Good info, back in July I had to do the same thing. But my problem wasn't dirty contacts. A solder joint on the main power line broke, so while you got it off check the solder connections. While I had it off I took it and my worn out key to a local lock smith and they cut me two new keys from their computer. Every thing works great now after I resoldered the connection, don't forget to apply dielectric grease before putting it back together.

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

While you have the switch in your hand there is a 50/50 chance that the key number will be stamped into the plastic top shroud, this is quite faint and you may need a magnifier to read it. If you don't know your key number this is the time to note it down. It will be the last 3 digits of a longer number starting A,B,C. or D followed by 2 digits between 00 and 99 the letter refers to the hand of the blank ie Left or Right

A and B are right hand blanks C and D left, this is determined by holding the tip of the key with the bow of the key facing away from you, the groove on the key being on either the left or the right.

Koxx4

The KEYMAN

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Thanks for sharing your ailments and cure? I have a 1200
and we need all the help we can get with a 22 year old
Gold Wing, still it can be a reliable motorcycle with
a little help from our friends.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Okay - I lied about not having to remove anything. At the time I was working on this, there was no radio.

So when I went out to take some pix, and make sure the bolts were tight, the radio was in the way.

That said, here's some pix for all:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.