Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:waving:
I have been having problems with what I believe to be in the ignition switch of a 1984 Honda Aspencade Limited Edition. Sometimes when turning the switch to the on position none of the digital gages light up, nothing, not even the neutral light. But should I turn it off then back on most of the time it works as you would expect. Sometimes it works but goes out causing the engine to die before you can get it into a gear.

I purchased a used switch from a 1986 Aspencade off eBay and have tested it as per my manual and have come up that it is possibly a bad switch. Here is what the Clymer manual says and what I did, can someone verify that the results are as the manual describes.

Seven wires in a connecting block coming from the switch.

Top row has space for four spade connectors with one missing; bottom row has all four spade connectors.

Top row left to right: red, green with black stripe, blank and blue with brown stripe.

Bottom row left to right: Black, Brown, Brown with White Stripe, and Brown again.

Manual states that with the switch in the on position there should continuity between the following wires, red, green with black stripe, blue with brown stripe, black, brown and brown with white stripe omitting the brown wire on bottom row right of the black wire.

What I have is continuity between, red, green with black stripe, blue with brown stripe and black and continuity between the brown with white stripe and the brown that is located bottom row last pin on right.

I don’t want to go to all the trouble of replacing the bad switch I have with one that is also bad. Can someone aid me in determining whether or not the switch I purchased is bad?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

A 1984 Honda Aspencade Limited Edition is a rareity.:ROFL:

The 84s had an ignition switch safety recall and being a safety recall the dealer is required to replace the switch free of charge if your switch is one of the affected ones.

Recall ID #13340

From your description your replacement switch appears to be working correctly in the on position.

Continuity between the red, green with black stripe, blue with brown stripe and black.

And continuity between the brown with white stripe and the brown.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I checked with the local Honda dealer and was told that my VIN was not in the range that the switch was being replaced in. Thanks for the info on my purchased switch some of these manuals leave a lot to your imagination.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

jayhawk wrote:
I checked with the local Honda dealer and was told that my VIN was not in the range that the switch was being replaced in. Thanks for the info on my purchased switch some of these manuals leave a lot to your imagination.
Get yourself a Honda manual and use the Clymer one for fire starter.:ROFL:

Here's the switch layout from the Honda manual.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks, that made it all clear. I will work on getting me a Honda manual. I'm liking this website, people here are great and very useful. And I'm thankful for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
imported post

JayJawk//They told me the same thing..I pushed the Point. There is A post I had Running around here where Honda did not put All of the vins into the new computer system They had to do a paper chase to find mine. PM me and I will give you the name and Number of the folks at Honda that have all of the info. Also look at the back of the switch if it has a ridge running down it with screws holding it down you have the upgrade. If the back portion just have tabs that attached to the metal Ignition body slots you have one of the old ones and those are covered.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

:applause:
The switch is of the unmodified type, I contacted Honda but was told I need to go to a dealer to verify the type that is now on the bike and perhaps maybe, but no promises the switch could be replace under the recall even though the VIN is out of the range of the recall. I did that this afternoon and will call Honda back tomorrow to see what is up. Thanks for the phone number and information.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

IF YOU CANT GET THAT SWITCH PROBLEM SATISFIED YOU CAN REPAIR THE OLD SWITCH. THERE IS A POST SOMEWHERE THAT TELLS HOW TO REPAIR IT. I DID MY 84-1200 SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND ITS BEEN FINE EVERY SINCE. walkabout :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.