Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On my recently-acquired GL1200 I have a recurring noise that is happening. This GL1200 was just purchased to replace my other one. It's an 84 with only 28,xxx miles. So I am running this beast much more than the prior owner did, for sure.

As I'm not that great describing it I'll try my best. Bear with me.

First off, (perhaps related, perhaps not), if you're "at speed", say 70 to 80mph, and accelerate it - you have to be easy on it. If I accelerate too much it kinda stammers, sputters, or whatever you'd call it. If I back off and accelerate more modestly it does fine.

I've run one can of sea foam already, and sync'd the carbs. I will resync again in a couple of hundred miles just to see if they're changing.

Now on to the noise. This one has me vexed.

No pattern to this one that I can tell. Every 10-20 miles or so, it will make a noise, seeming to come from the engine area, that sounds like...... uhhhh.... a bicycle with a playing card in the spokes.

It doesn't last - and quits shortly after beginning.

I don't get it.

If this thing is gonna "crater" (throw a connecting rod, or bend a valve) I would think it would have done it already. I'm open for thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

84 was the first year for the hydraulic lash adjusters and they had some problems with air in the oil(foaming)that caused the noise you are describing.If you go to the search box and type in lifter noise you will probably find enough reading to keep you going until June.Could be as simple as just over filled with oil,but if not there are some adjustments that can be done.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the first reply.

The oil was recently changed and is Castrol Syntec Blend 10w40.

I'll start nosing around for this problem.

Before I start - just curious - is this something that should be a stop-ride condition, or should I take the bike my planned 100 miles tomorrow?

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

I think I remember another member with the same noise and if my rememberer is working right it was the radiator cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.