Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I’m new to this site (a great site I might add)..

In searching the archives I see some writings on rear shock seal replacement but mainly on the GL 1500..

My question is: What is the procedure to replace the rear shock oil seals & any idea on the oil capacity of the 1200 rear shocks?

Thanks-----JDC

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The procedure is the same on the 1200 as on the 1500. Once there is no scoring on the insert then it should seal up nicely.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I put a set of them on my 83 GL-1100. I removed the stock shocks and had my local Honda shop install the progressivedampers in the stock housings. They need very little air compared to the stock shocks I weigh about 150 and my wife is 130 Fully loaded with camping gear clothes etc we only needed 20psi in the rear shocks and maybe 4psi in our progressive front springs. I Replaced them after about 175,000 miles because they were tired. I replaced them with progressive complete units because I could not find thedampers onlyanymore.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Hello:

Do you need to replace the shocks on a GL1200 when yellow oil squirts out the air valve when you check pressure?

I had removed rear wheel for painting and released the air in the shocks so they could be moved out of the way for easier tire removal. A stream of yellow oil came out air valve when I pressed it . Upon reassembly I repressurized and it seems that their is still oil trying to come out air valve when I check pressure. They are holding pressure - have to refill every week or so.

I am new to the Goldwing so forgive my ignorance.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

A very small amount of oil seeping out is normal, but a stream of oil squirting out under pressure isn't right.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

03Silver wrote:
A very small amount of oil seeping out is normal, but a stream of oil squirting out under pressure isn't right.
Sounds like they may be seriously overfilled. It's a wonder something didn't break when hitting a bump.

:waving::waving::15red::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

How much air pressure to you normally run in them? You may have a bubble locked in the fluid that never makes it to the dampers. Try taking nearly all the air out and ride it around the block the recharge the shocks with air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.