Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at a guys 1200 today, (gonna change the timing belts) . went to adjust the seat for him and it is way different than what the help video shows,( the video and tutorial from this site) to adjust his seat, you open the fuel door, and there is a lever in there ( NONE AT THE BACK) I thought they where supposed to be the same as the 1100. this one is a 84.

Has anyone else seen this, or am I just all wet behind the ears ?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I looked at a guys 1200 today, (gonna change the timing belts) . went to adjust the seat for him and it is way different than what the help video shows,( the video and tutorial from this site) to adjust his seat, you open the fuel door, and there is a lever in there ( NONE AT THE BACK) I thought they where supposed to be the same as the 1100. this one is a 84.

Has anyone else seen this, or am I just all wet behind the ears ?
I read through your post and the minute I saw fuel door, I said "must be an '84". As far as I know, they're all like that. 85 and later are on the left side rear.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Seat Adjuster? My '85 has elongated slots on the rear seat mounting brackets, you have to loosen both mounting bolts, and slide the seat by hand, then retighten the bolts. If you move it all the way back it leaves quite a gap between the front of the seat and the fake tank.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I read through your post and the minute I saw fuel door, I said "must be an '84". As far as I know, they're all like that. 85 and later are on the left side rear.
Yep, just another of the unique features of the 84.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,325 Posts
Yours is missing some stuff, Jerry.
There should be some electric motors, springs, a pully and two toasters in there. I think the sink and faucet are on the right side.

Oh wait, maybe it was just a spring loaded, hand operated latch. The right side has a special bolt/spacer to keep the seat stable but still allowing it to slide.

So what model had the toasters?...Damn, now I'm getting hungry!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so the 84 is hondas one off special ?
What else is unique, before I get to involved with this guys project, How about changing the fork oikl on a 84, where the heck is the drain plug?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
What else is unique
Radiator cap is different.....
PG's are located in the rear.
You already know about the seat adjuster.
And the button for the baday was relocated to the right side (too many passengers were confusing it with the PTT switch)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,325 Posts
so the 84 is hondas one off special ?
What else is unique, before I get to involved with this guys project, How about changing the fork oikl on a 84, where the heck is the drain plug?
Fairing and pulse generators are exclusive for the '84. Timing belt covers too, I think. And maybe the heads. Lots of things are '84/'85 only.
Bottom line is research before you buy.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The rear wheel is also different for the '84 and '85, they made some major improvements for '86, so the bearings wouldn't move around and destroy the wheel. I had to replace my '85 wheel with one from an '86 or '87 for that reason.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the input, but where it the .... is the drain plug for the forks?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey thanks I did see that , I guess I will have to remove the top cap to fill it, cause I don't have a pressure fill system any more

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.