Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all.

Here is a poser. We have an '86 GL 1200Aspencade. Just recently it has started to become somewhat cranky.

This evening's scenario for example:-

1. Took the bike out of the garage and fired her up. Not smokey this time, though sometimes it is. No big deal. Smoke dies after a couple of seconds.

2. While sat there ticking over (on choke), put on helmet and do up jacket.

3. Into gear and away. All appears to be normal.

4. Within two miles, engine dies.

5. Tried to start it but no joy.

6. Made phone call to pal to explain situation.

7. During call (about two minutes) pressed the starter, and away she went. And kept going with no hassles for the next 30 miles.

8. A couple of hours later, went out to visit, and the same thing happened. Now this is starting to become a pain. Tomorrow morning could be interesting.

We were out this last weekend on a 150 mile jaunt with non of the above messing.

It actually felt like fuel starvation when she dies. No power, no acceleration, just blaehh. Dead.

Any ideas, anyone?

I did hear that the 1200 has to be well warm before riding. Is this the case? Are we setting out with the engine too cold? If so, how long to warm up?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thank. Phil.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Hasd the same exact problem with my 86 aspy it was the pulse generators one side was bad the other waqs opening up when warm. it would die just like you had hit the kill switch. then it would restart after a few minutes and go on down the road as if nothing was wrong. take measurements across each pulse coil if they don't measure around 321 ohms they are the culprit.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

When the bike died did you check for a spark at the plugs? You need to do this just to isolate whether its an ignition or fuel problem for a start.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

This will probably happen again Phil, so keep an old spark plug handy so you can check for a spark by just putting it into a plug cap, grounding it on the head and looking for a good spark while cranking the engine. You have to do this before looking anywhere else. If there is a spark then the fuel system will need checking.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

No, Paul, I didn't. Didn't even cross my mind. Too busy having a half panic on the M50 at 4:45 pm. With the sunshine the way it was, it probably would have been too bright to see a spark.
Good idea, Jason. Now to find an old plug to carry. Makes perfect sense when you think about it.
JC, your suggestion will be looked into also. I'm just happy that we have an '86 and not an '84. Have you seen where Honda used to put those pulse generators?
As an update though, when the bike was started this morning, after being left out overnight; we let her tick away for about 5 - 10 minutes, and she behaved herself all the way into work. That said, I am away for the next week at the Boat Show in Southampton, so the investigative work will have to wait.
Still open for any other remedies.
Phil.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That seems to happen a lot with old 1200s, running fine one minute and cutting out the next. Quite often its the pulse gennys. At least you only have to remove the T belt covers to get at them.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Are you serious???

I took a look at it this afternoon, you know, just scanning. The way I see it is to remove the lower cowling, radiator, couldn't see clearly enough to see if the engine bars need removal (looks like a bar goes right in front of everything), then the front casings, and according to a picture I have, the timing belts also. Then trace the wire to heaven knows where.

Not really a 30 minutejob. Any idea on why these things collapse? Bad materials? Positioning? Old age? Normally Honda has its sacrificial parts in easily accessable places.

While I'm at it, how many fuel filters does the 1200 have. When tracing the fuel line I came across one behind the carbs, (and my hand can't reach it, let alone remove it), then the line enters a chrome unit on the RHS of the bike, then back out to the splitter on the line. I am assuming that the chrome unit is a fuel pump of some ilk, but does it also house another filter? Any thoughts?

I'm just learning here, so please be gentle with the 'horror' stories.

Phil.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

It goes petcock, fuel filter, fuel pump (chrome part as you mentioned ) then carbs as to replacing the pulse generators remove the radiator and timing belt cover. you do not have to remove the engine guards or the timing belts the pulse generators are easily acessible at this point. You will have to remove the seat, then the tank compartment to get to the connector for the generators. Its not a bad fix at all and the cost here in the U.S was 80.00 dollars. whilel your at the timing belts check for fraying or cracks its easy to replace them while your in there and may save you bigger problems down the road. also when my pulse generators were bad I could let the bike warm at idle and not have any problems but they will get to the place where you won't get by with that. good luck and let us know how it came out.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
That seems to happen a lot with old 1200s, running fine one minute and cutting out the next. Quite often its the pulse gennys. At least you only have to remove the T belt covers to get at them.

What I meant was in comparison to the 84 you only have to take off the T belt covers. We all know the dummy tank & radiator etc.have to be removed to get at the cover bolts. There used to be a long tool available that allowed you to take off the cover bolts while leaving everything else in place (except for the lower fairing covers). Don't know if its still available.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Having same problem with my 84 Gl1200, mine seems to be related to the choke not coming off correctly, haven't checked it yet cause i'm waiting to drop the engine out for a dredded alternater change. Dropped engine out today and checked the choke linkages, you need to remove radiator and backplate to get to them. The linkages are a sieries of"L" shaped brackets that pivot on screws on the underside of the air intake manifold. Yep mine were partialy siezed so although the choke lever was fully home the choke assemblies were still on partial choke hopfully this will cure the problem on my bike, I'll let you know if it dosn't.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Hi Phil

Did you find any solution to your stalling problem, I have just bought a 1986 gl1200 Interstate and I am having the same trouble--- Cuts out after 2-3 miles, leave it for 1 hour and she starts fine. Thought it may be the fuel pump but not sure. Could the tank pressurising due to a blocked cap cause the problem I wonder. :cheeky1::stumped:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Hi Phil. Tank pressurizing is normal on the GL1200's.. It's a relevant part of the emission system. May I suggest you look into the more obvious items first.. Plugged fuel filter, air filter, clean & gapped spark plugs etc. There are servicing procedures that must be performed at different mileage intervals.. Have these inspections all been performed? also, review all the above information the guys have listed about the pulse generators, spark plugs and ignition switch.. Renegade :)

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Thats why you need a spark plug with you for when it cuts out again. If there is no spark then the pulse benerators will be suspect (it sounds like that to me) and if there is then its a fuel problem. You will have to test it like that to isolate the problem.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Did you get this fixed Phil? Just be thankful yours is an 86, the 1984 model had the pulse generators at the back of the engine and you have to pull the engine to get at them.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

It could also be the ignition switch Phil. It's not only the 1984 ones that gave grief. When the engine died, did all the lights die as well? If so it's more likely ignition related or main fuse corroded/cracked. If all the lights stayed on then its possibly the pulse generators.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I am a newcomer to this site and found it very helpful. My '87 Aspy is also stalling. It stalls after just a couple of minutes, and then will restart after lettting it set for a few minutes. My dash stays on as well as all my lights. The only thing that changes is that my RPM gauge goes immediatly to "0". I checked to see what happensif I hit the kill switch when riding, and it takes a couple of seconds before going to "0" The pulse genny's seems like the next step. ANy other ideas? My dealer had my bike for 6 weeks and no success. Theyreplaced the stator.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Well, at least we know the stator wasn't the cause and I'm sure your wallet is much lighter now.
Can you perform a pulse generator test on your own? If all of the above suggestions from other members have been proven out, then the pulse generators are the suspect..
By the way, there is an easy (almost no cost) test that can be performed on the stator to verify if it is defective or not.. Sounds like the dealer who replaced it was not sure. "If all else fails, paint it-----or replace it"
Remember also, these bikes are over 20 years old and the mechanics that worked on them back then are either cripple now, or retired.. Hopefully the latter.
Renegade

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.