Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know 84 has a different part # than the 85 thru 87, but is there any physicial difference between the 84 and 85-87 starter ? I need to replace the starter on the 84 and all the ones listed on Ebay show for 85 thru 87. So will the 85 fit and work on a 84 ?

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I know 84 has a different part # than the 85 thru 87, but is there any physicial difference between the 84 and 85-87 starter ? I need to replace the starter on the 84 and all the ones listed on Ebay show for 85 thru 87. So will the 85 fit and work on a 84 ?
A 84 is different than 85,86,87 , I think the case is different and will not bolt up. What problem are you having and did you try the starter refresh ? There is a thread in here already with links in it about the same thing. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stator is shorted, so it needs to be replaced. So has anyone tried to put an 85 starter on a 84 ?

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
stator is shorted, so it needs to be replaced. So has anyone tried to put an 85 starter on a 84 ?
Hang on now what does the stator have to do with the starter ? And if that

was a typo maybe you could find a place in your area that rebulids them ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-198...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2163204f&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Gold-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f46efafe&vxp=mtr

The 2nd link is the better deal IMO, same price but a rebuilt OEM read the whole AD, it even tells you why they are different. it's $349.00 but you get $150.00 back when they get your old one so same price as the cheap aftermaket one.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
84 starter

pretty much if you have an 84 you dont have much choice but to really open up your wallet and dig deeply for a replacement,and even then they are hard to find

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hang on now what does the stator have to do with the starter ? And if that

was a typo maybe you could find a place in your area that rebulids them ?

Yea, typo. Communtator For what they want to rebuild I can buy and 85 and use the parts to rebuild the 84 starter.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
pretty much if you have an 84 you dont have much choice but to really open up your wallet and dig deeply for a replacement,and even then they are hard to find
Nope, not quite... Buy a 85-87 starter and toss the planetary gearset on the front then replace with the original starters gearset. The planetary gears are almost "bullet proof". I've changed out 2 starters using this method and still have the OEM 25 year old planetary gears. Zero problems and the '84 starts as good as if it came off the factory floor.

Ken

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
They do not list a starter for 84.
I know that... If you read my post on the subject, you use the old planetary gears and put them on the new "85-87" starter back end.

Ken

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.