Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My GL-1200 a few days ago demonstrated a strange behaviour.

Went to start and it seemed like a dead battery - kinda. Which it should not be.

Would press the start button and the bike would immediately go black, and re-energize after 10 seconds or so. (headlight, warning lights come back on.)

After poking around wiring, I took a large screwdriver, and jumped it across the starter relay. Sure enough - it cranked over just fine. I did that about 3 or 4 times.

Following my screwdriver-induced "CPR", the bike has not demonstrated the same behaviour since. And I now keep a large screwdriver in my left pannier. (Not a bad thing.)

Thoughts???? :?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

Since you are just asking for thoughts, and not educated thoughts, here's mine:

Do you still have your original "dogbone"?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No the original dogbone was replaced with an automotive blade fuse holder.

Good one - it was my first thought as I couldn't remember with this particular bike if I'd changed it yet or not.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Electrical things can be weird! But there is always a reason.
Stuck solenoid
Stratified battery
Gassing battery
Electrolyte not up to snuff
Weak or loose connection
Bad battery joint
PB on handlebar intermittent

Because of series, parallel circuits all about the bike a 12V voltage can get eaten up quite quickly with bad joints and connections and this leads to a preventive type electrical maintenance throughout the complete bike. Doing this on a regular basis does eliminate the ghosts and weird things that can happen when wires, joints and devices are left to their own. And it doesn't matter where you live in the world because every area has a good and not so good affect on the electrical system because that system is alive compared to the mechanics of a bike. See how live your bike gets when it won't start. Leaving things alone causes that green stuff and other corrosion to grow and interfere with the magic of electron flow.

It looks like its time for a clean up, otherwise you are in for more of the same until it stops all together. Happy hunting!

To aide your hunt:
Examine all parts of the start process, all smaller wires feeding the controls from negative grounds to push buttons to solenoid coils. Disconnect the starter motor main lead and verify the operation and interlocks. Do a voltage test as to the source then through the conductors and then the main starter motor.

With all controls AOK, verify all major big conductors and grounds. With all good, clean inspect for cables becoming corroded inside the insulation, burn marks, stiff cables. Then look carefully at things that use power:
lights
solenoids
starter motor

Once the start circuit is good do the rest of the bike because the whole electrical system fails with time. Look for the same thing as you did for the high powered system but this time use a magnifying glass. Small things like lights and spark inducers use little power but can create big problems because of dirt, corrosion and things you may not see but are there.

A cleaned electrical system goes far with the operation of a bike, enjoy the process.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
No the original dogbone was replaced with an automotive blade fuse holder.

Good one - it was my first thought as I couldn't remember with this particular bike if I'd changed it yet or not.
Don't trust it! I had one get weak on one side @ a year or so oldand was arcing one side of the fuse!! I'd suggest pulling the fuse and checking the male spade connector's for signs of arcing. Ya never know!!:cool:

I've since replaced that in-line fuse holder with a Maxi Fuse holder, (The big one!!), and I'm gonna replace the other one after I park her for the winter...:coollep:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for all the input.

Winter's coming to So Cal - (which I know ain't much of a Winter for most of you). But - it's generally got some time factored in for me to do some cleanup.

I'll take in to account everything said here. :)

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Probably a bad connection "ground, battery or solenoid".
Bad connections came come and go at random.:shock:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

The starter solenoid is pretty easy to rebuild. There are a couple of areas that wear and can be repaired. Sometimes it's better to repair the OEM.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

If your bikes are learning how to fix themselves, can I park mine at your place? Maybe it will pick up a few tricks. :action:

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Dennis that may be osmosis at its best, I'll fax or e mail mine and we can have a group session!

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

What year? If 84 I would check and see if the Ignition has been replaced. I had that problem and I had a series of problems I worked through. Cleaned every part imaginable did the blade fuse change out eliminated that connector. Changed start stop switch and finally ignition that was bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.