Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

so here i the skinny on testing your stator Learned it all from this forum Its the way to find out what's wrong

Get a digital volt meter A/C and DC as well as resistance

Pull battery cover off and put bike on centre stand

On the left side of the battery you will see three yellow wires either going to a plug or wired straight thru by previous owner Start the bike

Disconnect the plug OR cut the three yellow wires one at a time VERY important ONE at a time mark wires A ; B : C;

put meter on A/C scale across any combination A-B; B-C; A-C rev bike to 3000 RPm you should see 45 to 60 volts A/C across any of above combination

does not hurt bike to run with this disconnected

If OK shut bike off measure on resistance scale (50K is good) from each of three wires to ground It should be infinite EG open must not have any shorts to ground

If both measurements are ok (volts and resistance)your stator is good

Next ifyou havethe plug; cut it out and solder each of the three yellow wires straight thru cover with heatshrink ( throw the plug at the neighbors cat or some thing) piece of crap

Next if all above is good have batt load tested at batt shop if OK charge overnight measure DC volts straight across battery after charge should be about 13.5-13.9 VDC Start bike with meter still attached to battery voltage will go down while cranking over but should come back up to 13 plus when you rev bike turn on Hi Beams volt should drop slightly but still be over 13 VDC if not eg 11 to 11.5 dc replace regulator 10 min job (lots on ebay)

good luck Neil

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Re your questions on using a meter the way you describe is the right way good luck on your tests have a good look at all the wiring measure across a-b; b-c; a-c; 45-60 vac each

then bike off a ; b; c; to ground black to frame of bike red to each yellow lead one at a time

I was within an inch of doing the alt conversion(bought or made all the parts ) only to find that some previous owner had made a second connection on stator wiring low down about 4 inches from where wiring enters rear of motor(the splice was under factory sleeve and I found it just by luck this is what I found so before you go ahead and start tearing down look around at all wiring etc (maybe get an electrician friend to help you measure)

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.