Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have my gl 1200, i was looking to take some gear, as in fill the bags, possibly an additional backpack, and a roomie who weighs about 250 lbs for a trip. How can i learn about properly setting that suspension so we dont ever bump the tire? ANyone know where i can get a good manual for my gl 1200 for cheap of free?

THanks,

Anthony:jumper:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

You and your roomie will overload the safe riding limits of the bike.. Especially if you add baggage.. I'd re-concider the ride for another time.. :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Last Sunday I ran into a couple on a 1985 Aspencade. The husband must have been 260 and the wife 200. The bags were loaded for their cross country trip. I guessed the bike had at least 500 pounds on it! They said no problems with the bike at all.

GVW and carrying capacity were large factors in my decision to purchase. As a 225 pound, 6'3" man with an average girlfriend and a thirst for camping out, I knew I'd quickly exceed the limits of most bikes. I also just learned the GL1200 Aspencade has a 390 pound carrying capacity against 430 for the Interstate. That put a smile on my face.

I really believe most riders never give a second thought to maximum carrying capacity. I don't think it'd be a lot of fun to test those limits in a panic braking situation...where the overload is most likely to present itself as problematic. The tires and wheels can handle it, the suspension can probably handle it but, oh, those old-fashioned (and small diameter) disc brakes are the weakest links on these old bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Good points Curt. Most of us don't find any difference with the Wings when loaded up, but the difference can show when trying to pull up in a hurry and also on bumpy roads when the suspension is under strain.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

Well said Curt. The brakes on all Goldwings except the gl1800 were just about adequate. I could never see why the loyal Goldwing owners put up with this for so many years.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

DJ wrote:
Well said Curt. The brakes on all Goldwings except the gl1800 were just about adequate. I could never see why the loyal Goldwing owners put up with this for so many years.
Well we did because we didn't know any different. Its all very well looking back and comparing the brakes on older Wings to the GL1800, but there was a time when most big (as in heavy) bike brakes were not much better than the Wings brakes anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.