Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I viewed Steve Saunders timing belt change video on this website. When I took off the old right side belt my cam pulley slipped out of place like his did in the video. I installed new belt on left side with no problem and all marks lined up. When I went to the right side and put new belt on, pulley was still not lined up. In the video it doesn't show how he realigned the pulley that slipped. How should I fix my problem?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
It seems like for the right belt to line up the is almost half stroke. I've done it twice now, onceby myself and once with help... I recomend having help but you can do it. What i did is use a large screw driver in the pully and used the case to pry against and force the pully into possition while I slipped the belt on. Doing it my self it was a tooth off 3 times in a row, so double and tripple check it once you think you're done.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
When I changed mine, what I did was put a wrench on the bolt on that sproket and turn it where I wanted it and put the belts back on. Not the recommended procedure but it worked. You might want to give it a snug back the right way when you get through if you do try it that way.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
If the belt is off one tooth it won't hurt anything, the bike will run but not as well as it should, and it will sound funny.
Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
When I changed mine, what I did was put a wrench on the bolt on that sproket and turn it where I wanted it and put the belts back on. Not the recommended procedure but it worked. You might want to give it a snug back the right way when you get through if you do try it that way.

Looks like it the way Honda does it :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
If you are referring to the timing marks on the back cover they rarely look like both line up at the same time. Left and right that is. However if you can actually put your head on level with the marks you'll see they are off by less than one tooth. That's the correct position.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.