Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,330 Posts
What do you mean, 2 connections on each carb? Can you post a picture?
That diagram is the one from the official Honda service manual.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
[/QUOTE]this diagram really helped but I ended up with 3 orfises and no hose connection,is there a different diagram for a 1984 gl 1200 interstate? I have two connections on eace carb. on vacuum.[/QUOTE]

The carbs have a tube that runs between then (actually, two tubes).
One set is connected to the vacuum cut diaphragm as indicated in the drawing. The other set is a vent to atmosphere. No hose is required unless it's a california model, in which case they would be connected to a carbon cannister.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
For the benifit of some of us, who havent understood carbs, pollution controls and othersuch things since 1965 fords.

What are and what do they do
afterburn valves
slowair cutoff
secondary air supply

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
goldwing gl1200 interstate (de)luxe 1984 color schematic needed please wingers!

hi wingers

i'm looking for a colour schematic of
the honda goldwing gl1200 interstate (de)uxe, 1984.
i've obtained the gl1200 standard, thank
you. it doesn't match up colorwise!

can anyone advise me about this please?
the p.o's (14!) have not treated this
old gal with tlc. the wiring is a joke!
it looks like 3 year olds have been
twisting pipe cleaners. adding the wrong
color wire, twisting them together?
cutting, splicing into oem wires
and connected household wires, no matching
colors here! this is a great challenge
to following, correcting and working fully.
all the bikes electrics. i just need to
find the gl1200 interstate (de)luxe 1984
schematic.

i've now got the title document back.
it was manufactured in late nov. 84.
could it be classed as an 1985 for
the wiring diagram please?

many thanks for your cummulative
help wingers!

regards

angel :)

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Angel.

Please don't hijack threads.
This thread is about vacuum hoses and your question is about wiring.
You have more than one thread on your problems so just continue asking on one of them.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
For the benifit of some of us, who havent understood carbs, pollution controls and othersuch things since 1965 fords.

afterburn valves
slowair cutoff
secondary air supply
Secondary air supplies are use to introduce fresh air into the exhaust upstream to help "wash" or clean the exhaust. Generally from an air filter through "reed valves" (one way valves) into the exhaust manifold. Our reed valves work in accordance with engine pulses to prevent exhaust from pulsing back into the intake collection chamber.
The carbs are set with a designed vacuum leak through the slow air cutoff.
During heavy deceleration, the throttle plates close and engine vacuum rises dramatically. If the air/fuel ratio where left unchanged, it would produce a lean misfire condition, allowing unburned fuel into the exhaust, where it would ignite. (backfire)
BOTH the anti-afterburn and slow air cutoff are supplied with vacuum from the #4 intake runner. When manifold vacuum rises on decel, it overcomes spring diaphrams and closes off the metered vacuum leak as well as the fresh air intake into the reed valve chamber. This richens the mixture, prevents lean misfire and decreases the chance of backfire.

Or not.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts

afterburn valves - Seems to act like an EGR valve sort of. On Deceleration/high Vacuum it opens the valve allowing the pressure to equalize across the 4 exhaust ports at the Exhaust Valve. Bringing unburnt hydrocarbons back into the system.
slowair cutoff - This valve is also triggered by the High Vacuum on deceleration. It is ported into the vacuum side of the Carb slides and allows the vacuum to decrease (raise pressure to ambient) allowing the slides to close (drop) shutting off the air fuel mixture quicker.
secondary air supply - These are part of the afterburn system and connect the Anti-Afterburn box to the Exhaust ports through the heads.
I answered above as to how I understand these from following/mapping the ports on my 1984.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lines

this diagram really helped but I ended up with 3 orfises and no hose connection,is there a different diagram for a 1984 gl 1200 interstate? I have two connections on eace carb. on vacuum.[/QUOTE]

The carbs have a tube that runs between then (actually, two tubes).
One set is connected to the vacuum cut diaphragm as indicated in the drawing. The other set is a vent to atmosphere. No hose is required unless it's a california model, in which case they would be connected to a carbon cannister.[/QUOTE]
I have two larger plastic tubes and one metal tube that is crooked. from the schematic it looks like the crooked one has a line on it but the other two plastic doesnt show. on the left side one of them could be a vent which leaves me with one, on the right side there is still one tube left open, unless that is like you say, it is a vent.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Yes. One vent on one side, one vent on the other. The "crooked" line is a ported vacuum source that should be connected to the cdi "tee" at the top left corner of the air cleaner.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Ok you are looking at the carb rack upside down in those diagrams.
These picks might help from my just rebuilt 1984 Interstate carbs.

First pic from tubes between a pair of carbs from top to bottom.
Top is a bowl vent to air (49 state) or a purge canister (California)
Middle - from Air Cutoff valve
Bottom (metal) - Fuel transfer from back Carbs to front carbs.

Now second pic, is the Air Cutoff hoses as routed from the Air cutoff valve to the carb tubes discussed above.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BigBro1 I really thank you for the pictures, they will set me straight.. from what I can see one of the cross over ts on each carb is for a vent tube.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
threads hijacking

hi wingers

i don't know what happened here.
i started a new thread and ended up
hijacking someone elses.
sorry about this, it was a technical gliche!

angel

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
message to dude boy & fellow wingers

hi dudebiy

sorry about accidentaly hijacking,
this was a technical gliche. i started
a new post and ended up in the middle
of you posting!

apologises!

angel

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Dudeboy,

In the pic above that shows the two carb bores looking at you.
The Fatter Black T just about centered is the bowl vent for those two carbs.
It is just open to atmosphere on most models.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I answered above as to how I understand these from following/mapping the ports on my 1984.
Pollution thingys. Doesnt sound like Id benifit disabling them either
Although the backfire thru the harley exhausts might be nice if I can rattle harley rider eardrums:ROFL:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.