Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

IVE HAD MY WING FOR 2MONTHS AND IT DOES NOT FEEL RIGHT, FIRSTLY WHEN GOING AROUND SMALL ROUNDABOUTS THE STEERING WOBBLES SLIGHTLY.

AS I AM STILL GETTING USED TO RIDING THE WING,IF ITAKE MY HANDS OFF THE STEERING AT ABOUT 25 MPH IT WOBBLES VIOLENTLY,ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APRECIATED THANKS COL

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Welcome Col to the best Goldwing forum on the net! Sounds like either loose bearings in the steering head or maybe low tire pressure or a tire that is cupped on the tread.:(

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

cheers gene

there is no play on the steering, but ill try the tightness preload.

thanks col

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

A cupped tire will have a noticable cupping or dishing of the tread, more pronounced at the sides of the tread.

Lay the palm of your hand on the tread and slide it down the face of the tire tread, it should be uniform, not bumpy. The bumps are the cupping.

A bike with 20k miles should not have front end issues unless it was in an accident. Tire cupping on the other hand could appear as soon as 5k miles or even les in extreme cases.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, Col!:waving::waving:

The wobblies are a common problem for Wings of just about all models. Other bikes too. Steering head bearing pre load and tires seem to be 90% of it. Run your hand along the shoulder of the front tire, forward and back, it they are cupped the tire will feel rougher when sliding your hand one way or the other. It's kind of a saw toothed pattern. If you get the right oblique angle you can usually see it. New tires completely cured my 1500 from a pretty obnoxious wobble. Now she's hands off at any speed without a quiver. I was surprised that just replacing the tires did the trick, but once I had the old tires off and looked at them, even though the tread was still nearly a 1/16" in the center, there was a lot of cupping.

Take a look at this site on motorcycle tire wear:

http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hi Col. Badly cupped tyres also end up swelling sideways. Bad tryes can cause wobbles as well. I'd say the first thing you need to check is your tyre condition, before doing anything else.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Everybody forgets the REAR tyre when they have a front end wobble ,,,The rear tyre can and does cause wobble in the front ,,so check out the rear tyre as well ..cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

THANKS EVERY ONE THERE ADVICE. WHAT A BRILLIANT SITE. HAPPY WINGING/ COL

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey col :leprechaun: Welcome to the Forum. :clapper: I hope you get your wobble sorted.

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.