Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Since i saw on this Forum how all the petcocks went high-wire i bought the refurbishing kit that was sold by one of our members in the UK, only to find out that the P O had removed the petcock. I have the Wing now for about 5 years, so my question is :

1.What is the function of the Petcock as my Wing is now already (at-least) 5 years without it.?

2.Do you really need it ?

3.What am i giving up for not having a petcock.

Many thanks

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

You will manage fine without it Johan and won't harm your Goldwing.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the 1500, but on the 1200LTD it really serves no purpose. The fuel system is set up the same as a car, with the tank, a line going from the tank to the fuel pump, and from there to the fuel injector rails. Cars don't have petcocks. Obviously if the 1500 ran fine for 5 years without one, it doesn't need it either.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
imported post

The purpose of the fuel valve (petcock) is to keep the gas from siphoning down into the carbs and possiblyflooding the combustion chambers if the float and needle valve malfunctions and doesn't completely shut off the fuel flow into the carbs. If that should happen it will hydro-lock the engine and possibly cause some internal damage, such as bent rods when you try to start it. Not very likely to happen, perhaps, but still a possiblility. I would prefer to havean operationalpetcock on minebecause it is cheap insurance against having some expensive damage to my engine. Others obviously don't believe it is necessary. It's your call for your bike.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I'm with Bellboy. If you ever DO lock the engine, it's gonna cost a heck of a lot more than a fuel shutoff. I am dreading the day my auto fuel shutoff goes bad, as they are discontinued in the aftermarket, and Honda wants $160.00 for a new one, which is backordered, the last time I looked. I think I'd even clamp off the fuel supply line after riding, if I can't get a new one. Rudy found a nice electronic fuel valve that I have my eye on. It's about the same price as Honda, but I think the one he found, is gonna last alot longer! jimsjinx

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

My LTD doesn't work that way. I had the entire fuel injection system off, back to the fuel pump, and the gas line disconnected, with the petcock on. The fuel pump stopped the gas. I thought carbed Goldwings had fuel pumps too?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

the fuel pump in the 1500 is a low-pressure centrifugal rotary-type where "blow-by" is in the design (only need to generate 2 to 3 psi (7-max)to slowly refill the float bowls and NOT over-pressure the needle-seats of the float valves...

As such, the pump redily allows siphon and bidirectional flows at suprizing volumes regardless of power state.

Additionally, since the float-bowls act as fuel reservoirs for re-starts, there is no one-way flow check valves as ar common on higher pressure (ie FI) fuel pumps, which will stop flow in the outlet below some minimum pressure.

Since the idle circuit can actually "drip" without airflow through the carb (not too uncommon for the higher float settings while on the side-stand), this drops the float-bowl levels, opening the needle/seat there; allowing fuel to flow - this flow can be sufficient to start a siphon in unfortunate cases ...

A the very least hydro-locking (petrol-locking, fuel-locking) on the 1500's 9.8:1 compression engine is inconvient, there are a few stories about broken gears directly related to hydro-locks of this type. Sadly, the Honda starter drive gear seems to be robust enough to break the dreaded "internal lubricated parts", forcing an engine-out repair.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
I'm with Bellboy. If you ever DO lock the engine, it's gonna cost a heck of a lot more than a fuel shutoff. I am dreading the day my auto fuel shutoff goes bad, as they are discontinued in the aftermarket, and Honda wants $160.00 for a new one, which is backordered, the last time I looked. I think I'd even clamp off the fuel supply line after riding, if I can't get a new one. Rudy found a nice electronic fuel valve that I have my eye on. It's about the same price as Honda, but I think the one he found, is gonna last alot longer! jimsjinx
Cyclemax has them in stock for $129. I'd advise using one, myself.

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/4102/116904

Gene:action:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.