Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok all of you electrical experts. I have a 98' 1500 GL Wing SE. I want to install an accessory plug in the top of the right hand pocket. The actuall plug will be inside the pocket and the top will be on top of the pocket.

I thought this would be an easy mod to do but to run the wires to the battery looks like I will have to take all of the plastic covers off to run and hide the wires.

If I was to take the right side pocket completely out could there possibly be wires underneath it that I could just tap into instead of running them to the battery.

I've only had the wing a couple of months and after spending 2 hours trying to get my seat back on I"m gun shy taking anything off...at least for a while. I have had the two side covers off where the battery sits and the front where you check your oil but nothing else.

Thanks for any help.

David

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

The site isnt comming up , or maybe its my connection. But to anwer your question. You should have an aux port inside your fuse box. just tap your wire into that.

Now you have yourself a fused outlet.

I have one hard wire directly to the batter with a 15 am inline fuse . I use this for emergency power, for cell phones lap tops, electric stoves and my electric hair dyer.

This outlet is not the water resistant ones and I mounted it inside the left pocket.

the other one is connected to the fuse box and is on with the acc switch turned on. I use this for my Ipod or Sat radio.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

I was also gun shy about opening the bike up at first, so I bought this service manual. It shows how to do everything to your bike and is well worth the $60.

I just added a cigarette lighter socket to mine. I described the work in this post, with the exception of opening the bike up.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

I hard wired mine to the battery with an inline fuse.

This way it works with the key off.

The Wardens happy she doesnt have to keep getting the key off me and then

i,m happy (Or so i am told) Ha Ha

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks guys for all the help. I guess I need to bite the bullet and start taking all the plastic off. I have all of the manuals and even purchased a DVD that shows how to do the general maintenance. It even shows how to take off the plastic.

These things just have so much wiring that you have to unplug to get to almost anything..but I've always done my own maintenance.

I guess if I run into anything major I'll be hollowering for help from somebody that lives in this area that has a wing.

Again thanks for the help.

David

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

The service manual is about $60.

Gotta love the dedicated contributors to this forum!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.