Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Wow. The dealer wants $58.26 CDN for an air filter. I just bought a 2000 SE and I'm not used to seeing those kinds of prices for parts. What is the normal life expectancy of an air filter? I know it depends on where you ride etc. but ballpark mileage change interval.

What other options are out there? I'm not keen on the K&N and heard that the HiFlo has fitment problems.

Any on-line seller recommendations? For parts and other goodies.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi as cc said you can get the hole service kit from cyclemax for$61

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I saw that but wondered about the air filter make. Looks like an Emgo or HiFlo.

Anybody used this and satisfied with the results?

I have located a K&N in Canada for less than the OEM. Still unsure if K&N is the way to go though. Any comments in that regard? Seems like a lot of people use them.

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I saw that but wondered about the air filter make. Looks like an Emgo or HiFlo.

Anybody used this and satisfied with the results?

I have located a K&N in Canada for less than the OEM. Still unsure if K&N is the way to go though. Any comments in that regard? Seems like a lot of people use them.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I bought that same kit as shown from Cyclemaxand am still running on that air filter 45,000 kilometers later. No issues with it. It was starting to get a tiny bit dirty, so I wiped the metal screen on the bottom clean, gave it a shot of low pressure 'shop air' and reinstalled it.

I ordered a Honda OEM one from Cheap Cycle Parts.com, while I was ordering a few other things. They only wanted $2 more than the Emgo one from Cyclemax, so I ordered that. I will install that onenext spring.

I'd stay away from the oiled K+N filters. Do a search here to find out why. I showed my buddy why he should too, when he held the one for his BMW up to the light, a day after he oiled the element. :shock:

Ken

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks for the link to Cheap Cycle Parts. Do they ship POSTAL to Canada? Their price for an OEM air filter is decent, even less than Hi Flo.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
I'd stay away from the oiled K+N filters. Do a search here to find out why. I showed my buddy why he should too, when he held the one for his BMW up to the light, a day after he oiled the element. :shock:

Ken
Dusty, you got some 'splainin' to do!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

wow, lots of reading to find that the K-n-N filters have larger pores than OEM.

Aftermarket OEM, here I come. Pass the Goo please. ;)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I talked to my bud about this before our recent Yellowstone tour, when we were readying our bikes for the trip.

As an experiment, he heavily oiled his K+N air filter and held it up to the light. Looked good with about 90-95% of the pores filled with oil.

Then he set it aside for a day and when we looked at it the next day, there was less than 40% coverage of the 'pores' that were still covered in/with the PJ1 filter oil. :shock:

He switched to the more expensive OEM BMW air filters after that little demonstration and said he'll never install the K+N air filters in his vehicles again.

Dusty

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

K&N's advertising says their filters pass more air. Well I'm not engineer but it would seem to me to pass more air the holes would have to be bigger and thus filter efficiency would be decreased.

Dusty - What is your normal change interval on the air filter? I just bought a SE with 66,000 km on it. Not sure when the filter was changed last as the previous owner didn't do it in the time he owned the bike. I haven't actually removed all the plastic to get to the filter to see how bad it is. I figured if I was going to do that I would at least have a filter on hand to pop in there while it was apart.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I'd be changing it out if the PO never did.

Like I said above, I've got 45,000k on this one, with not too much in the way ofdirt/gravel road riding(<3,000k). When I had mine apart in the spring to do maintenance/aux wiring, I developed a coolant leak after changing the timing belts. In tracking down the leak, I discovered it was the grommet on the reserve tank, in front of the air box that had cracked and was leaking. Since I was already thereI checked the air filter element and found a surprise under the lid, but the element was in pretty fair shape. I'll change it out for a new one this coming fall, as I'll have well in excess of 70,000 kilometers on the element by the time I'm done riding this season.

Figure on it taking about 1 1/2 - 2 hours the 1st time changing the element. A lot quicker the next time. While you are in there, might as well change out the sub-air cleanerfilter element, as they have a habit of disintagrating and plugging up the carbs, creating all kinds of havoc. It's doubtful that the PO will have done it!!It's located under your right fairing pocket.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
I'd be changing it out if the PO never did.

Like I said above, I've got 45,000k on this one, with not too much in the way ofdirt/gravel road riding(<3,000k). When I had mine apart in the spring to do maintenance/aux wiring, I developed a coolant leak after changing the timing belts. In tracking down the leak, I discovered it was the grommet on the reserve tank, in front of the air box that had cracked and was leaking. Since I was already thereI checked the air filter element and found a surprise under the lid, but the element was in pretty fair shape. I'll change it out for a new one this coming fall, as I'll have well in excess of 70,000 kilometers on the element by the time I'm done riding this season.

Figure on it taking about 1 1/2 - 2 hours the 1st time changing the element. A lot quicker the next time. While you are in there, might as well change out the sub-air cleanerfilter element, as they have a habit of disintagrating and plugging up the carbs, creating all kinds of havoc. It's doubtful that the PO will have done it!!It's located under your right fairing pocket.

Dusty
So I guess it's true what they say about how a 1500 rides so smoothly it'll never bounce your nuts off?:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.