Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good day to all.

I had the Wing serviced (not mother Honda) and the timing belts were also replaced (about 300 miles ride since then).

Sometimes (it happened twice so far)when i start or ride the bike it sounds like a bearing in front of the engine is screaming. It sounds almost like when a car's power steering is screaming.

The tensioners were not replaced when the timing belts were done.

My question is then:

1. Do you think it is the tensioner bearing that does it.

2. Must it be replaced immediately or can i take a change for say another 200 to 300 miles.

Thank You

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Johan one of the belts is too tight and after the engine runs a little the belt stretches it may loosen up over time but a recheck would be on the cards as it will put extra pressure on the tensioners

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the cam belts might be too tight. Maybe the mechanic couldn`t resist the urge to give the belts a hand snugging up before tightening. Hope he checked the idller pulleys for smoothness of operation. If it were my bike I would be tempted to open things up again myself for an inspection at least. Loosen up cam belt tensionners and let spring pressure do the tightening. Check pulleys for smoothness of operation. Cam belts are really not that hard to put in, and can be a morale booster once done correctly.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

If the belts are too tight, then you'll typically hear a screaming noise at 2.3-3k rpm.

Your tensioners should be Ok, given that you bike has only 40k miles on it... They are supposed to be replaced around 100k

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

The noise you describe is consistant with failing tensioner bearings... although 40k is low miles..

...and tight belts can reveal and aggravate the already worn situation, but contrary to some other opinions, mine is that tight belts will not causethis problem.. ball bearings (even these) in good shapewill take much more load than that belt has to offer.. it is the heat, dust and moisture over timethat takes the toll.. furthermore, tight belts won't stay tight very long.. they will "sing" at about 2.5k to 3k (as described by Alex) but will relax overtime to a more "comfortable" fit...

As for riding it, hard to tell. If it is the tensioner, it will continue toward failure in one of three ways.. (1) continue to squeal from time to time as it continues to wear out. (2) finally freeze up with over-heating... in which case it will stop turning and the backside of the belt will begin to smoke as it is overheated with friction... there may be some squealling of the belt too...and/or (3) the bearing will completely fail and come apart in which case the belt will be loose and jump out of time... bad news...

I think I'd want to at least have a look inside those belt covers before getting far from home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.