Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All

I presently own a gl 1200 LTD. in good shape and I am redy to move up to the gl 1500.

Wow what a nightmare trying to find the good deal, is there a place on the net that i could find the differences in all the posible option in order to put a price tag to all thos good used bike on the market. Some aspencade a loaded like an SE then what is the purpose to look for an SE i am Confused LOL

HELLLLLP.

THX.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Just a few differences:
SE has cb standard
SE has rear spoiler
All SE's have the white guages I believe. Only some of the Aspencades have white guages.
Stereo upgrade on the SE as well, I believe. Check out the Goldwing History pages on this forum-here's a brief part about the SE. Check it out very descriptive and year specific...

1990 saw some decent revisions, when the GL1500SE was placed alongside the GL1500. The SE had two-tone paint, trunk spoiler/light, windscreen vent, lighted handlebar switches, adjustable passenger footboards and foot warmer vents that looked better than they worked. All this extra kit on the SE could be yours for about 15% extra cash over the cost of the stock GL1500. Camshaft and carburettor modifications that year helped to eliminate chucking at trundling speed and the trunk and pannier lids were made to fit better in order to keep water out.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

White gauges are on 98-2000 models

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

The White Gauges are on the 98 and 99 models only. They went back to black gauges for 2000 models.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

If you want all the goodies I wouldtry tofind aSE. Or do your home work real good, the history page here will help a lot. I got a aspencade that didn't have the CB and wanted one. I boughta aftermarketfrom airrider at the hoot at Knoxville TN a few years ago. They said it worked just like the oem, it does all but when the passenger pushes the ptt I do not here what they say and when I push the ptt they don't here me. Lesson learned. O, you loose the front left pocket too. Don't forget the adjustable passenger floor boards on the SE too. O yea, SE has the toe warmers too. Don't know how well they work cause my aspen don't have them either:X.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Basicaly on an older like the 1500 weather it's an aspencade or SE maks very little diffrence. What you need to be concerned about is the shape of the bike and weather there are records to show service work. My 90 aspencade seems to have all the thigs that a se should have anyway except the ajustable passnger pegs but they move up and down so not shure what ajustable pegs are
Wilf

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
White gauges are on 98-2000 models
2000 is back to black

(Edit: should have read a little farther in the thread... already answered)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Now, now Wilf. An Aspencade is NOT an SE. :cheesygrin: There are all kinds of things (small potatoes maybe) that you'll find on an SE that will bug you later that you don't have if you get an Aspy and then notice it later. Foot warmers do work. Not just for warmth but also help to keep water off the boots in the rain, and so on...

My recommendation is to read about the little things to watch out for from the various years here:

Buyer's Guide

Then read the history portion and see the changes made to the different years of the 1500 here:

Goldwing History

Then decide what the oldest 1500 is that you'd settle for. Hint: don't settle for anything older than 1997. It was the last year that any 'significant' change was made.

Once you've decided that you may go to the Craigslist search site and put in your zip code, how far you're willing to look and type in 'Goldwing' here:

Craigslist Search site

Lots of deals out there. Do your homework to make sure the bike is as advertised (condition, lien free, maintained, etc) and be ready to jump on the one you want. Usually if you have to "think about it", its gone.

Happy hunting!

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

thx for the great help wpgfire

Most of the exercise you lead me to where done today ;-)

if the bike has rear adjustable floor board is it automatiquely an SE ?

you say 1997 i am visiting a 1996 SE 73000km i am wonderring now huuuuuummmmm what are the differences how can I compare ????

Norm

more later

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

'97s got beefed-up clutch, Valkyrie drive train and engine parts. Something to consider if you might ever want to pull a trailer. Just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

I don't think it has been mentioned. The motor guards are different on the 1998,1999,2000. The 1997 and back have longer guards that flare out at the rear of the valve covers. I have heard mixed reviews some like them some want to cut them off. They say that the flared out part rubs legs if you have forward pegs. You may have already noticed this in your research, just thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

us385south Wrote:

dj norm,

Just between you and I... I think this bike here is tasty sweet. You couldn't do much better than this one...

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum6/124864.html

------

That's really a good deal, If it were at a dealership at that price I would take both my 1200 and 1500 for a trade in and pay the difference especially if it were white, but for that condition I'd take the black one. If I could have sold mine already I'd be riding that one now.. Oh Well, I'll have a 2000 se one of these days.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

lionelgo50 wrote:
That's really a good deal, If it were at a dealership at that price I would take both my 1200 and 1500 for a trade in and pay the difference especially if it were white, but for that condition I'd take the black one.
It's not black. It's the best color, Pearl Coronado Blue. :action:

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.