Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL 1500 Battery Side Cover Clips

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Keith Davidson 
#1 ·
imported post

When i recently had the problem with the Wing's non electricity, i took the side cover of the battery side off quite a lot ,and must have broken one of the "PEGS" that is part of the side cover (there are 3 "pegs) witchgo into the rubber grommet of the bike frame. The "peg" piece is gone\lost ,any suggestions how to replace this ? (What do i use as peg and how do i mend it) Thank You in advance.

#3 ·
imported post

If you do nothing else... make sure you tie those side panels on with string or wire, that will prevent you loosing them regardless of the pegs, this should be common practice for everyone and I have posted this many times. For those of you with removeable lids to the panniers, the same applies, a small length of string or wire will save a whole lot of heart ache if you happen to have a brain fart and forget to latch one down one day!!!!!

#4 ·
imported post

I think I would drill and tap a small 1/4 (20) thread 3/16th bolt into the body of the remaining area where the pin fastener is . If there is enough of it left, simply file it off smooth with a file and then drill and tap a bolt into the remaining body, making sure the bolt head is small enough to pass though the grommet.

Use PC7 epoxy or something that you can find over there and build the pin back and file it or shape it with a small hand held hobby grinder. The bolt will act as basically re-bar inside and provide the support for the new pin.

Change all the grommets, they get old and hard with time and do not hold well, or hold too well and cause you to break a pin getting the covers off. Grommet kits can be found at most aftermarket supply houses that sell products for the bikes. A light coating of white grease on the pins also allow them to pass through the grommets without binding, and a small drop of contact cement on the grommets themselves will secure them to the bike and stop them from falling out all the time.

Kit

#6 ·
imported post

I have read that a number of wingers have lost side panels off their wings a couple of times.

I thought what an inconvenience and a lot of cost if that happend to me so into action i went.

First i took all of the four side panels off .

Next i fitted a plastic cable tie with a keyring clip on it to the frame behind where the panels are fitted on each side of the bike.

Now to the back of each of the four panels just where the tabs are but near their base drill a small hole big enough to take a plastic cable tie loop.

You now have four panels with a 10"plastic cable tie loop attatched to each one.

As you replace each panel clip the loop to the keyring clip.

You will never loose an expensive panel ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.