Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need some guidance on my 1988California model Gl1500. I recently replaced the fuel pump with a work around Airtex fuel pump. that led to all sorts of problems. flow rate must have been to high. I was getting fuel into the cylinders, smoking and wild idle swings. So, when in doubt go back to mother Honda! replaced the workaround withoem fuelpump and now i still have the idle swings plus a new problem. the new pump will not shut-off. If i'm not mistaken once you turn the key on the fuelpump should run for a second or two then shut-off. I verified that the tank is building up pressure after running awhile. any help is greatly appreciated.

Probably doesn't help that it's a Cali Model :D

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the vacuum fuel valve is leaking

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Surging idle could be a vacuum line leak under the carb rubber mat on the left side is a 90 deg bend that gets a hole in it.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

You would be talking about the auto shut-off valve? and if so, i thought they would leak fuel. I don't see any fuel in the tray

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

yes , i do have a auto shut-off valve. didn't know there was a test. i replaced all vacuum hoses about three months ago during a carb rebuild

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

The other thing I noticed was when the little filter on the right side of the motor goes bad the engine surges and your gas milage drops

agree on changing ALL the [highlight= #88ffff]filters[/highlight] for starters.

Then you say the carbs were done???? So there is a good chance they need to be sync, and balanced. Here is a great tutorial on how to do that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500balancecarbs.htm

Also some other things to check: 1. Your Air filter to make sure it's not clogged.

2. On the right side of the bike under the lower fairing piece mounted to the frame is a small black box. Inside that box is a small filter it is for your Idiling circuits the [highlight= #88ffff]filters[/highlight]crumble away.

you can buy them cheep at Cyclemax.

3. Gas filter

Try replacing the three of them then run a bottle of SeaFoam through the tank 1/2 a can at a time two tankfulls and see where you are.

·
1,698 Posts
imported post

When you have idle swings , be sure that the choke is fully released ! - somethimes the cable is binding , or not installed correctly .

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Your surging .... is it just at idle, where it hunts up and down from 600 rpm up to 1100 rpm and back?

If it is ... try adjusting the knurled idle adjustment knob, (just ahead and to the right of the fuel cap) a couple of turns each way. It will most likely be stiff to turn. Raise it up out of the clip that holds it in place and add some lube spray to help free it up. Adjust that back and forth a few times to raise/lower the idle speed, before resetting the idle as best you can to ~800 rpm. Rev the bike up slightly, let revs fall and turn off the bike. Then restart and adjust idle back to ~ 800 RPM. May take a little fiddling to get it to get it to stay there.

The 88 and I believe the 89 as well(?) had a bad stumble right off idle, when getting underway. A service bulletin was issued to the dealers as to how to fix this. Fairly involved and I can't remember all the details.

Dusty

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Idle surges can also be caused by an air leak at the Rubber Boots, that connect the carborator to the engine manifold... Verify that that Clamps are tight; spray some engine starter around them while running the engine, and see if the rpm's change.

You can also By-pass the Auto-fuel-shutoff-valve, to isolate that as a potential concern.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have basically had everything done that you all have mentioned. I have one more item to change(fuel petcock). If that doesnt do it i will go back over everthing a second time. I will post again when i get the petcock installed.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I'm still not understanding why my fuel pump continues to run. Every other 1500 i know off, once the key is turned on the pump runs for a second or two then shuts off. mine will run as long as the key is on. thats with the fuel filter full of fuel.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

My situation was a little different than your's, but here it is anyway.
When I bought my '94, it had the surging idle problem. I tried everything mentioned above, with no success. While looking again for vacuum leaks, I let the bike idle for a long time. As it heated up, I'd turn it off and let it cool, then run it again. Surging cleared up. I did have a good dose of SeaFoam in the tank. In my case, the bike sat a lot for the few years before I bought it. I think the idle jets must have been partially plugged and needed cleaning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.