Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just started having trouble with clutch, can anyone tell me where to start? No leaks, just got soft and then would not engage. This is my first Wing so I don't know the first thing about it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site bpaulhicks! :waving:

Just to make sure, when you say it got soft and won't engage do you mean the clutch lever is too easy to pull and the clutch won't release? If that's the case how does the fluid in the reservoir look? Is it full and not dark and cloudy? A flush and a fresh bleeding of the clutch might cure the problem if it's a soft lever problem.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Like Paul says, if the lever is soft, it will be a clutch fluid problem.

·
Premium Member
6,639 Posts
imported post

I am assuming the clutch disengages fine so you can shift in gear easily but it just won't go very good when you let the clutch out. If this is the case it is posssible the hole in the clutch master cylinder has plugged and hydraulic pressure is still on the clutch even when you release the lever. That would be the fist thing I would check.

If you take the cover off the master cylinder you should be able to see the fluid return to the reservoir when you release the clutch lever. Be careful not to get brake fluid on the paint. Another test you could do is after applying the clutch several times and the lever released go open the bleeder on the slave cylinder. With the lever released there should be no pressure at the bleeder. If pressure is there that is the problem. The fluid can't return to the master and is trapped in the line. The 2 common causes are the hole is plugged in the master or the piston is not returning all the way in the master. If the piston does not seat "home" the piston blocks the return hole so pressure is trapped in the line.

If you become convinced it is not a hydraulic problem then it is probably the pressure plate has failed. I would be very sure it is not hydraulic first. If the fluid is contaminated it will need to be relaced so no time or money lost there anyway even if that is not the root cause.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Good advice so far. Probably the fluid and needs to be replaced or bled.

You can self bleed the clutch. Put the bike on the center stand. Take a small piece of 3/4 board and put it between the hand grip and the clutch handle. Have a bungy cord ready and pull the clutch handle in as far as you can, with the 3/4 board keeping it from going all the way to the grip. Wrap the bungie cord around the clutch grip and let it sit for 24 hours. Test. Good to go.

If the oil looks dark, it needs to be changed. If it is clear...... probably ok.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Easier clutch lever pull and slippage would indicate a problem in the clutch and no amount of bleeding will help. Time to pull the clutch pack.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

"What we have here is a failure to communicate." My favorite line from Cool Hand Luke. But nonetheless true. bpaulhicks if you could elucidate a bit more on your problem we'd have a better shot at pinning down what might be wrong.

When you say the clutch won't engage do you mean that you put it in gear, let out the clutch and the bike won't move?

Or do you mean that when you squeeze the clutch lever the clutch doesn't DISENGAGE and won't allow you to shift into gear?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

ITS ALL FIXED FLUSHED AND BLED SYSTEM FIXED ALL MY TROUBLE THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.