Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys I am new to the site but I am having some issues with my bike and I am looking for Ideas. My bike is a 93 gl 1500 aspencade, it has been running great until friday night I was out for a ride and decided that it needed the cobwebs blown out and right after that I noticed it would cut out when I roll the throttle on, if I baby the throttle it will run right up to 6000 rpm no problem but if I open it up it acts like it is not getting enough fuel. I have not changed the fuel filter yet but I took it off and blew it out and I even hooked up a hose and a funnel to the filter and the fuel ran throug the filter as fast as I could pour it. My thoughts are either fuel filter or main jets but I would like your feedback.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

It may be an ignition problem rather than fuel.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Wrong thread!:doh:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

For your '93 1500 - I f I'm reading this correctly, you can "slow-nurse" the bike past redline, but if you grab and twist to WOT you get a stumble ("like it's note getting enough fuel").

Personally, I would look to ensure that the accellerator pump is producing output, then ensure that the slides are free to move and are actually moving in operation.

You'll need to open the air cleaner for both.

With the air cleaner removed, bike off, give the throtte a rapid twist to WOT and look fro fuel discharge from the accellerator pump (discharge should be from the kinda "out of place" brass tubes fitted diagonally into the top-bracket.

With the engine still off, push each slide open GENTLY by hand. Each should move smoothly for the entire travel. As they move, look at the cleanliness/condition of the metering pin as it is exposed. Gumming along the slide and or metering pin will cause the slide to delay opening, and would present throttle response similar to what you describe.

Now with the engine running safely (centerstand in neutral), look down into the carbs and burp the throttle to WOT... There should be a moment of hesitation as the differential vacuum builds in the diaphragm then the slide should suck open (should'nt get too far open as you'll hit redline quite quickly with no load on the engine. Expect to see 1/4" to 1/2" of slide motion, just to show that they are moving on their own. Key here is that both slides should react symetrically (what the right carb does, the left carb should do).

From what you describe, and without knowing exactly where your bog is happening, I would suspect a failed accellerator pump (although, this should "recover" from teh stuble after a bit of putting), or slides that are not moving for some reason.

If you find gummy slides, do NOT use conventional aerosol carb cleaners as the diaphragms can be dammaged and rip. I use a product called "Deep Creep" or spray some SeaFoam (or Techron) with a solvent squirter to clean/lubricate/free the affected slide and/or pin.

For your filter to be an issue (or pump) you'd have to significantly deplete the fuel levels in the carbs, so the sag would happen AFTER your initial fuel flow started (like rev-up a little bit, then stumble...). We're all used to EFI these days, and forget that thers a cache (albeit tiny cache) of fuel sitting in the carb that would be used-up before supply lag would come to play.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

I think that you are hiting the rev limiter around 6000 rpms

It keeps you from over reving the engine.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I gave up and took it to the shop they will get a look at it later this week but I still feel it is a carb or vacuum issue. I changed the fuel filter and have run some seafoam through it but nothing has changed, when I get it back I will let you know.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

this is my problem but no one ever gets back with results

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

New filters all around

·
Premium Member