Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recently I learned that brand new tires do not grip to well for the first few miles until the release compound wears off. I took a spill on my GL 1500 SE and trashed much of the plastic, $3900 worth of damage. One of the biggest components is the Faring. When my broken :shock:Collarbone heals enough I am going to tackle this job. Anyone has any tips on removing the Faring I am willing to listen :D. I have my trusty CLYMER manual but I have found many easier techniques for removing components than what the manual shows.

~Eric~

Link below on OFOTO ofthe Damage !!! OUCH!!!

http://www.ofoto.com/ShareLandingReg.jsp?Uc=eurpndd.cqbxwxzx&Uy=pqk6qb&Upost_signin=BrowsePhotos.jsp%3FshowSlide%3Dtrue&Ux=0&UV=994837656433_792810502205

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

OUCH I once took a spill from frost on the road:?. Wiped out a 2 week old Vetter Quicksilver fearing:XGood thing i had enough clothes on to keep warm. I only ended up with bruses EVERYPLACE.

Only tip i can offer is DONT ride on frost covered roads.

Pat

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Looks like the rear end got by pretty well, a little sanding and repaint on the saddlebag lid looks like most of it. Have you priced any fairing parts from eBay. I've seen some fairings for sale fairly often. Color isn't all that much of a problem since you will have most everything off anyway. I'd think with a little eBay luck you might be able to get away with a lot less than $3900. Glad to hear you weren't seriously injured. I had a pretty good crash years ago, was frost on the road, couldn't even see the stuff, but it was enough to dump me and the bike. I got by with some sprains, bruises and a little road rash. Luckily the bike was an old beater, a little straightening, new headlight, etc. and it was back on the road. Nowadays I don't ride unless I'm sure that frozen stuff isn't on the ground. Getting old enough that I probably will damage more than I did years ago.

Here's hoping you'll be back on the road soon! :jumper:

:waving::15red::waving:

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

The fairing on the 1500 is easy enough to take off, I helped out with one last year. First off is the screen garnish, screen, lower headlight trim, turn signals and headlight. Then fairing pockets, console, dash cover and clocks. The mounting bolts for the fairing are 2 behind the headlight and 2 along the lower front edge of fairing. Also there is a nut each side on the inner part where fairing meets the tank area. All the wires are connector blocks and are easy to disconnect. We had the thing off in about 2 hours.
A word of warning. The subframe that the fairing mounts to bends very easily and that causes grief when fitting the new fairing. We ended up buying a new subframe even though the old one didn't look bent.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hello Dave,

Thank You very much on the subframe tip I have no doubt that this was bent since the impact also broke the dash right in 1/2. I will get one of them on order right away. I want to be ready once the weather breaks and my collarbone is better.

~Eric~

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hello exavid,

Thanks for the advice. It helps to be related to someone who works for Honda. Parts will only come to around $2000 when over and done. The bike was mint and I wanted to keep it factory original except for all the extra chrome. Amazing but lots of the aftermarket parts are cheaper in chrome than getting them through the Honda discount.

~Eric~

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

crohnshilton wrote:
Hello exavid,

Thanks for the advice. It helps to be related to someone who works for Honda. Parts will only come to around $2000 when over and done. The bike was mint and I wanted to keep it factory original except for all the extra chrome. Amazing but lots of the aftermarket parts are cheaper in chrome than getting them through the Honda discount.
Yes Eric, but just wait and see how long the aftermarket chrome lasts. The Honda parts painted or chrome keep their finish for years compared to aftermarket. Also I've been told that it's actually cheaper and quicker to chrome an item than paint it!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey crohnshilton :waving: Your welcome to the forum. :clapper: Sorry to read about your accident, but at least your here to tell us all about it. :jumper:If your replacing some of the orignal parts with chrome, :skipping: then i would recommend KURYAKYN :weightlifter:as their chrome is head and shoulders above the rest and will last a long time.:clapper:

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Hi crohnshilton, I'm a new member here as well. The fairing on the GL1500 is the easiest of all the Wings to remove and the Heffo summarises it up very clearly. You shouldn't have problems with this, the only awkward nuts are the two at the back inner part near the dummy tank area.
:)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi Eric, OUCHHH, what sort of speed where you doing? Is it me or are the plastics not as strong as they used to be, I took a spill on a GL650 at 40mph, the fairing and panniertook the hit and survived with scratches the only thing that was realy damaged was the gear change lever, a quick kick picked the bike up and rode off(with a lot of embarrassment) into the sunset.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hello Norman,

As Heffo describes it was easy to remove. The dummy tank nuts were a piece of cake :dude:because I took the seat and shelter off there was no problems. Not sure that you could remove the Faring any other way:shock:. The two bolts I had trouble with were the small ones that held the Vent Ducts in place that were just above the sub frame. I got the faring off today 2 weeks after the crash. Collarbone is doing great doctor thinks I will need physical therapy. I think that this serves a good therapy……

Thanks Norman

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hello Johno,

Believe it or not I was only going 20 MPH:gunhead: but there was a great deal of centrifugal force involved. My daughter flew off the rear seat and landed 8 feet away from the bike. (She only ended up with a few bumps and bruises thank God):). I believe that the force of the bike coming over brought the rear wheel up pretty high in the air causing the brunt of the weight on the Faring corner just below the windshield. The bike went up so high that the Anti-Freeze Res. Spilled out for a few seconds (I had added some and had not got the cap on tight yet). The only ride into the sunset we had was the Ambulance ride to the hospital.

Thanks for the response

~Eric~

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

The fairing on the GL1500 is very light, you only realize this when you have the thing in your hand. Compared to the 1100 & 1200 fairings it's especially light, I suppose they had to shed some weight somewhere when designing the 1500.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hi GWEddie,

I know what you mean about the fairing for the 1500. I took it off with out removing the instrument cluster and it was very light. I had an 1100 and there was only the CB and AM/FM radio on this. I think that the transformers for these radios weighed a lot. The radio is on top of the gas tank on the 1500 and this is a very heavy piece of hardware:clapper:. The 1500 CB is mounted in the left tank cover so this does not come out with the faring as well. I it took more time to remove the LH rear saddlebag than it took to remove the faring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.