Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experimenting with adding a small amount of ATF on the forks just under the dust covers in hopes of extending the life of the seals and other components at the top portion of the fork assembly. Has anyone tried this and have you noticed any benefit?

·
Administrator
25,549 Posts
If you keep a chunk of cotton material, like a piece of old t-shirt, wrapped around the tube, under the dust cover, it seems to extend the life of the seals.
I agree with this and not with putting oil under the dust seal, it's dirt that eats the seals, not lack of lube and the oil will attract more dirt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input about the fork seals. I will try putting some cotton cloth wrapped around the fork tube under the dust caps.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Thanks for the input about the fork seals. I will try putting some cotton cloth wrapped around the fork tube under the dust caps.
The cotton trick is just to soak up the oil from leaking seals "Out of sight out of mind." and will do nothing for good seals.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A great habit to clean fork tunes after each ride and I will do that, thanks. I do remember the bikes of the past had the rubber flex boot covering the fork tube to keep them clean.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I have been experimenting with adding a small amount of ATF on the forks just under the dust covers in hopes of extending the life of the seals and other components at the top portion of the fork assembly. Has anyone tried this and have you noticed any benefit?

I did exactly that 6,000 miles ago with this https://www.etsy.com/listing/655109883/vintage-jb-justice-brothers-metal?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_christmas_Art_and_Collectibles&utm_custom1=94a5f6bf-acae-4a1a-95db-ec0eaf59d606&utm_content=go_1707294370_69268675129_331635229824_pla-314954651933_c__655109883&gclid=CjwKCAjw8qjnBRA-EiwAaNvhwJ-vpZ2bB_Nm6WiBfMlX1ysUqkfOgKgpWmFHRE-y30p2FttyMgv3OxoCiwwQAvD_BwE . The seals absorbed the stopleak and there hasn't been a drop leaked since then. And no cotton ball was used

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for another idea I had not thought of is the "Transmission Stop Leak". I assume that conditions the seals to prevent or stop any leaks.

·
Administrator
25,549 Posts
A great habit to clean fork tunes after each ride and I will do that, thanks. I do remember the bikes of the past had the rubber flex boot covering the fork tube to keep them clean.
Like this?

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,549 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A homemade "Sealmate" from a milk/water container is a great tip. Thanks for that idea too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts