Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL 1500 front brake pads??

976 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Foodman 
#1 ·
imported post

I am replacing my front tire. I looked at the pads , not worn out but I think it would be a great time to change them. They are over 1/2 gone. They are still the original pads. Bike has 34,000 miles. Question is the stock pads are they an organic style pad? I am seeing organic and a stithered (spelling) type pad. My understanding is the organic is softer and less wear on rotor. I got 34,000 out of the first set. Would just like to get about the same again. Also is there any brand to stay away from? Looked at JP Cycle they have EBC and Ferodo brands.

#2 ·
imported post

EBC worth the investment, nothing like Good cheap brakes, stopping power is more important than life span ( brake pads) :waving::action::action::action:

#3 ·
imported post

Have I got this right,you've got 34,000 miles out of the original pads and they are still not worn out??
Would have thought the obvious answer to this is to use genuine Honda pads again,then you know they are the correct composition in relation to disc wear.

Regards Steve.

ps I only ever use genuine brake pads but never get anywhere near that sort of mileage out of them,12-15 thousand more like.

#4 ·
imported post

If you're only getting 12/15k miles I'd say you have a problem up there or you're riding your brakes.. I have 47k on mine and there not 1/2 worn..

#5 ·
imported post

I've used both OEM and EBC organic pads on my 1500 and get around 15,000-20,000 miles to a set. I don't wear them down to the last gasp, usually change them out when the pad is down to around 3/16" or so thickness. That's a bit over half way to the metal. Front and rear seem to wear about the same rate for me. I tend to use the front and rear brake equally and do gear down to use engine braking approaching stops.

I'm amazed that Foodman can get 47k miles out of brake pads.

#8 ·
imported post

Don't know what to say gang but I'm just not hard on brakes.. I do go through tires, 10/11k on fronts and there gone.. Must be the way I ride.. I try to anticipate what's coming up and shift or decelerate to match the road or just push it when I have to..
I'm sure there are others out there that get as much or more miles out of there brakes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.