Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. On my 1990 goldwing/motortrike I have a loud chatter noise in the front wheel at slow speed. Break pads almost new, Wheel bearing changed. When you spin the wheel by hand noise is loud but at highway speed not noticeable. If calipers removed and spun by hand noise gone. Speedo drive makes slight noise. Removed cable and lubricated. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
If calipers removed and spun by hand noise gone

Could it be the brake pads rubbing? If you apply the front brake slightly does the noise go away?

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Hello folks. On my 1990 goldwing/motortrike I have a loud chatter noise in the front wheel at slow speed. Break pads almost new, Wheel bearing changed. When you spin the wheel by hand noise is loud but at highway speed not noticeable. If calipers removed and spun by hand noise gone. Speedo drive makes slight noise. Removed cable and lubricated. Thanks in advance
Wheel axle needs adjustment in fork leg to maintain minimum clearance as in shop manual.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wheel axle needs adjustment in fork leg to maintain minimum clearance as in shop manual.
That makes sense. I had the forks off and rebuilt them. Had the noise before but it seems to be getting worse. I left the pinch bolts loose on the bottom held the front brakes and gave it some good bounces, Is there a better way to align them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If calipers removed and spun by hand noise gone

Could it be the brake pads rubbing? If you apply the front brake slightly does the noise go away?
The sounds changes some but don't go away. If you back the pads off by collapsing the pistons it goes away.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
1. Correct axle alignment.

2. Return hole in master cylinder open and clear.

3. Remove caliper pistons, clean and lube seals and pistons.

4. Lube caliper slide pins.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. Correct axle alignment.

2. Return hole in master cylinder open and clear.

3. Remove caliper pistons, clean and lube seals and pistons.

4. Lube caliper slide pins.
Return hole is open and clear. Replaced pads and lubed slide pins, Don' really want to remove pistons (if it's not broke don't fix it) and not sure on the alignment on the axle. Is there a way to check?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

+1... The left brake caliper is probably hitting the Bolts on the brake rotor. Easy fix:

Steps:
1) Loosen Axle bolt.
2) Loosen all (4) pinch bolts.
3) Use (.020") shim to set gap, between left brake caliper (not the pad) and the brake rotor... or just verify Same Gap both sides of left caliper.
4) Tighten (2) pinch bolts on Left side.
5) Tighten Axle Bolt
6) Tighten (2) pinch bolts on Right side

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
Return hole is open and clear. Replaced pads and lubed slide pins, Don' really want to remove pistons (if it's not broke don't fix it) and not sure on the alignment on the axle. Is there a way to check?
Seems to me you have a noise you want to eliminate....:ROFL:

·
Administrator
22,376 Posts
That makes sense. I had the forks off and rebuilt them. Had the noise before but it seems to be getting worse. I left the pinch bolts loose on the bottom held the front brakes and gave it some good bounces, Is there a better way to align them.

Yes. Loosen everything below the upper tree bolt, including the fender bolts, and don't hold the brake. Put the tire against a solid surface and compress the forks a few times.

Then tighten everything, starting with the axle pinch bolts and work your way up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1... The left brake caliper is probably hitting the Bolts on the brake rotor. Easy fix:

Steps:
1) Loosen Axle bolt.
2) Loosen all (4) pinch bolts.
3) Use (.020") shim to set gap, between left brake caliper (not the pad) and the brake rotor... or just verify Same Gap both sides of left caliper.
4) Tighten (2) pinch bolts on Left side.
5) Tighten Axle Bolt
6) Tighten (2) pinch bolts on Right side
Thanks for info, I will try this tomorrow. At what point do you set clearance on right caliper

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. Loosen everything below the upper tree bolt, including the fender bolts, and don't hold the brake. Put the tire against a solid surface and compress the forks a few times.

Then tighten everything, starting with the axle pinch bolts and work your way up.
Thanks I will take a look at doing this tomorrow. I'll let you know the outcome.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Thanks for info, I will try this tomorrow. At what point do you set clearance on right caliper
The right side clearance is controlled by the axle nut and is not adjustable.

On the left side you're setting the clearance between the caliper mounting bracket "not the caliper" and the brake rotor.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Ken's post above.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts