Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Some background first...

I was riding my '89/1500 in the mountians in Korea 2up fully loaded maybe 1200lbs. Thats right I pack pretty heavey as I'm gone for days at a time when I ride. I also tend to drive it to the max when I hit the twisties.... HeHeHe.:badgrin: My last two weeks there I chunked the shift drum pretty hard downhill and bent the shift forks... NOT GOOD.

So I waited until I returned to the U.S. to fix it. The best route was to replace the engine totally. Did that with a 1994 engine... So after droping the new engine in I ran it around for about 10 miles to know the engine was a good replacepment. No Probs other than finding a few vacum hoses that still needed replacing that were throwing off my idle at low speed (10mph and under). Fixed the vacum hoses and though that would be the resolution... Not so... I still have some fuel starvation/unsteady idle issues.

So I pulled the carbs back off and cleaned them. Actually I completely rebuilt the carbs with a kit from Saber... Still running into probs balancing/tuning... Read about dificulties with Saber stuff. So I reverted back to original needles just to diagnose... Saber quality does not seem to be the prob as I'm still running into same fuel starvation/unsteady idle issues even with old needles. I've adjusted thethrottle stop screw. (till my fingers were numb, lol) Yes,I've installed needles according toTech Specs 1.5 turns out. Eventried some Kentucky windage on the needles afterward... No luck there. Still have some fuel starvation/unsteady idle issues. :yelling:

Now therouting on theshot air sysem vacum hosesdid seem to vary a bit on the 94 versus myold 89 engine (nothing major though).However, it does leave me second guessing andwondering if that has anything to do with it.

Or could it be that the 94 engine needs a 94 set of carbs... Seems to me like the 89 set of carbs should work with the 94 engine?
Any GL1500 Proffessors out there please chime in...:congrats:

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

Fuel starvation could be the plastic valve in front of the gas cap. Can't remember what it's called now, it gets discussed here often and somebody else will remember.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

JWayne...Maybe you're refering to the throttle stop screw located in the same compartment as the gas cap? If so then I'm way beyond that being the solution. (dont mean to sound saurcastic as I am the one begging for a solution here)

Actually I tore the carbs apart and cleaned again today thinking I might have missed something... Nope all was O.K. Reinstalled according to spec. Cranked it up and thats when I noticed it was actuall misting back out of theintakes. Turns out with 1.5 turns I had them adjusted to where I was flooding out the engine. (Darn thing about the GL is it never had that "Flooded" smell. It would just bogg down and still try to keep on running. What an engine!)

Well anyway, in order for the bike to run lean enough to keep it from bogging and firing in the exhaust pipe I had toscrew the pilot screws almost all the way down. I then hooked upmy vacum balancer andbacked then out 1/4 turns at a time with constant adjustments to the balance srew as well.Eventuallyit came down to only one sweet spot that would work. Left pilot isbacked out .50 turns while the right pilot is backed out 1.25 turns. Both vacum needles now flow evenly wheater it's a roll or a rap on the throttle. WhooHOO!
Problem solve right:claps: Not so fast...She still surges while driving:yelling:

Somehow with all the carb rebuildingcleaning and solvent I dont think SeaFoam is the answer this timeeither. Still wonder about the caompatablity of the year model equipment... Altitude Sensor/AICV/Shot Air. Or do I just have something stuck in the Carbs?

Still open to suggestions???

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Huck, is she surging at speed? I had a situation where I faught a surge at highway speed for a while. At idle and up to about 30 or so she was great. Avove that, I had this weird surge. Well, after a VERY expensive rebuild from a local Honda place (figured they were gonna do something that I couldn't), it turns out that it was a piece of tupperware that was causing the problem. Actually, a LACK of tupperware. See, on the left hand side of the bike, the piece of plastic by the gear shift had broke off at the onset of my problem. I didn't think anything of it. Picked it up off the road, put it in the trunk, figured I'd fix it later. Turns out, there is a sensor (can't remember which one), that used ambient air pressure. Without the cover on her, the sensor acted goofy (as the pressure was changing with high winds around the bike), throwing off cruise rpm. I know it sounds weird, but I kid you not, I used about 50 cents worth of epoxy to fix the tupperware, put that single piece on, and VOILA. Surge fixed. Hell, the dealer hadn't ever heard of it either, and gave me a healthy discount on the rebuild, as I had just rebuilt the carbs myself. Sorry for the long post, but I figured you might be riding without the plastic when testing?

On second thought, I probably could have just asked....lol

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Good to know and actually it does make a lot of sense on that left side... yes I'm riding it naked as I test it out. (Relax the screens not going to burn your eyes out from anothe one of my photo ops... The bike is naked) So thanks for that tip, however, the kicker is the surge is happening both at idle and speed.:? Cant really say it's worse either way as it's just intermitent. likeevery 3-10 second intermitent.. . . .. . . . . . . .

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Petcock... I was afraid that was what he meant... Mine's only 21yrs old...

This is a Honda, surely I canget 40yrs total on the petcock?

Seriosly though how can you tell if that's it. With this design fuel pump and all wouldnt this part leak if it was bad?

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

Huck, all you have to do is bypass the petcock with a short piece of tubing to test.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

sounds like you may still have a vacuum leak, under the rubber mat maybe? did you try snyching the carbs?

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Sorry if I didn't chime back in been busy riding the stew out of it since I got'er going...

All none of the above...

Turns out I may have done some damage to the carb in cleaning it. Why do I say this? Because on one of the carbs I could blow air through all the jet pinholes... on the other carb I found a particular pinhole identical to the other carb that I can cranck up the compressor up to 150 PSI and still get no air through. Kinda told me the carb wasnt going to open up after this much cleaning and compression either. Oh Well... Off to Ebay....

Bought a used '96 carb setslapped'em on tuned 'em in and been knockin down the miles ever since. Got it running just in time for Biketoberfest in Daytona. Already had to purchase an new back tireand almost at 5k since the total rebuild. (Although with all the flat terrain around here and the "Commuting" miles I'm starting to wish I switched to the darkside too...)

Thanks for all the input folks!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Thanks for filling in the blanks, Happy Days Are Here Again...

Yup Go Darkside!
I just returned from my 3 1/2 month, 13,000 mile dbl darkside ride about. Even got some great Darkside Cookies in WI.:action:

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Double darkside do you mean Front and Back???:? Pictures please wanna hear all about it???:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.