·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,982 Posts
If Penski had not killed my '94SE,
I would have done the same,
I had already drawn up a schematic to do just that

go for it.
I have never liked that vacuum controlled shut off fuel valve.

·
Administrator
61,982 Posts
Briese,

Thanks for the suggestion but I have been starting carbureted engines since the late 1950's. I kinda know how to use a choke. As far as knowing that the carburetors are dry, I don't know that for a fact. What I do know is that I have to crank the engine for way too long before it starts firing. If there was fuel in the carbs then I wouldn't have to crank the engine for a minute or two before the engine would fire.

I have tested the fuel pump and it works within OEM limits but it does not receive power except for about one second after I turn on the ignition switch and then only again only after I hold the starter switch. I just want the carbs to be able to have fuel before I start wearing out my starter.

With the limited comments I have received so far, I'm studying the bikes wiring schematics to see what are my best options for bypassing the engine control module. I do want to include the bank angle sensor for safety reasons.

Bill - N5HQ
I have a couple of notes that might be useful,
look at your PMs
RED DOT above your avatar top right of page, you will need a PC though

·
Administrator
61,982 Posts
You could add an auxiliary momentary (switched) power source to the fuel pump, but put a diode in the normal source so you don't back feed the ECM.
Also ,if it is like the 94SE I rode it seemed to only fire up/start at the moment I let off the starter button.
Would not need a Diode, is you use a Single Pole, double throw switch.
Center terminal goes to the fuel pump.
One side goes to the ECM,
Other side goes to Battery thru a fuse.

I would dump the vacuum valve, and get an electric valve switched thru a relay off the fuel pump + terminal.

·
Administrator
61,982 Posts
I'm also going to bypass the ECM and run the fuel pump and fuel shut off valve from the ignition circuit. DaveO430 suggested also connecting the coils to the same bypass. Something that I think might be a good idea, I'm going to look into that. Comments would be welcome.

Bill - N5HQ
Doing that will improve the Voltage to the Ignition circuits immensely.
the OEM circuit method results in the engine not starting up because the load on the battery goes through too many different small, undersized wires before it can get to the Ignition circuits..

Providing power to the Ignition direct from the battery through a relay will provide Full Battery voltage, and IF the carbs have fuel in them, the engine will be running before you can get your finger off of the Starter Button.

·
Administrator
61,982 Posts
Only thing that concerns me about that setup is if you happen to tip it over, you'll continue to pump fuel into tipped over carbs and besides the fire risk you stand a good chance of hydrolocking the engine.

I'd give the fuel pump and electric valve a separate relay triggered by the line which used to drive the fuel pump directly. This would come from the ECM on a '90 to '00 wing, not sure on an '89. That way if you tip over the pump will stop and valve close.
That seems as though that would defeat what he wants, to keep the fuel pump running after Key ON.
the ECM shuts the pump off after the initial 'blip' at Key ON.

I too, installed a direct wire from the Key Switch to the fuel pump, thru a toggle switch on my '94SE
that in the days before AGM batteries

1 - 5 of 5 Posts