Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to get gas today and it appears that someone tried to jimmy the gas door lock sometime since I last filled up. Never noticed a thing until I went to open it today.

The flat piece along the side of the lock where the key goes in is bent and I can see a small spring sticking up, plus some of the lock mechanism seems partially turned. Any ideas on how to open it short of a big screwdriver and breaking it off? Key will not insert and I don't need to be breaking that too.

thanks
Tom

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I had something very simular happen to me just a couple weeks ago
if you use a med sized flat head screw driver at the front of the door sort of toward the side, gently begin prying back and you will find the door will pop open without doing any damage to it or the lock mechanism underneath
once open you can pull the clip and remove the lock assy from the door

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
AJs fix should work fine. My lock was inoperable when I got the bike and when I took it to a locksmith he discovered the little dust door of the lock had worn out and little pieces of it had dropped into the lock. He got them out and the lock works but I can easily open the gas door with almost my fingernails.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I've had two locks do that on my Oldwing.

The first was a saddlebag lock and like you thought it was someone trying to jimmy the lock.
The second was the fuel door lock between fuel ups on a long trip.

In both cases I used a paperclip to dig out the broken pieces until the key would fulling insert and continued to use the locks minus the dust covers.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. I used an old credit card to push down in the space between the door and the surrounding plastic. It's just a spring catch that can be pushed in fairly easy. Kind of the same as the screwdriver suggestion above. Now to get the lock replaced and re-keyed....

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I would highly suggest completely Removing the Lock, and replace with a simple Catch to hold the door shut.

Having done this recent saved my Azzz... My bike broke down (bad starter relay), and had to jump start it... but could not turn off engine without having to go through the jumping again. Sooo... having the gas lock by-passed enabled me to keep the bike running all day long (with multiple fuel-stops; engine running) as req'd to get me home... eg If I had the lock present, then would have had to turn the engine off to fuel up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.