Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The gas gauge on the GL 1500, 1988 - 2000, was poorly designed and when showing empty it still has half a tank of gas. The problem is that the tank is bi-level and with the upper level being forward the float bottoms out on that level, showing empty,leaving the half tank still inthe lowerlevel.

The Fix.

First Siphon the gas out of the tank

Extend the rod, (wire), holding the float six inches so it reaches the rear, lower level. This involves removing the fuel level sensor which requires removing several body panels. The Clymer work shop manual best describes how to do this. Remove the float, cut an 8 inch peice of wire and solder two inchesonto two inches of the original float wire shaping the far end like the original and reinstall the float and the unit. Then replace all but the seat. Remove the fuel pump unit. This leaves an opening big enough to reach into. Grasp the float wire and watching the gas gauge bend it so the gauge reads empty when pressed down and full when held up. You may need to do this a couple of times to fine tune it. I only had to do it once more. My gas gauge now readsperfectly and the reserve sensor comes on just before the needle reaches the red mark on the gauge, just like it is supposed to. It is comforting to have a gas gauge that is accurate. Not to mention that I hate to have something on my wing that doesn't work, besides me that is.

Enjoy your properly working gas gauge. With God's blessings, the Rovin Rev.:applause: :claps:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

:applause: Happy to help even clear over there. The only thing I will tolerate on my bike that's not working is me. I'm retired.

With God's blessings :praying:...........Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.