Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all ! I have a -93 GL 1500 engine and 4 gear doesent lock up. i think problem is a bent, or worn shifter fork. ok,i think i should change sifter forks and 4 gear
and shifter center,but these parts is not available anymore. -97-2000 models is available, but part numbers is a difference. shafts and collar spline is a same.so,what parts should i change if i gonna use those -97-2000 parts ? sorry my bad English language,i writing from Finland. and thanks to all to recommends.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,655 Posts
Don't worry about your "English", we can understand you just fine.

the Shifter Forks are no longer available, unless you have a donor engine to take them from.
Here in the USA, spare engines are fairly plentiful due to the amount of the 1500s that have been sold here, and have met up with a Sudden Stop, then become salvage.

Your best bet, is to find a replacement engine if possible.
Would custom import fees be Cost Prohibitive on old engines that have little value now?

You say that '97 - '2000 engines are available?
That would be your best option, to just get a 'newer engine' and swap it into your bike frame.
You would need the electronics that go with it also.... maybe the wiring harness?

Others will have to comment on that.

·
Administrator
26,154 Posts
I'm seeing most of those parts you need as unavailable even the later models.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
Hi JJL, welcome to the forum. The 4th. gear problem is fairly common on the early 15s.

As far as your English is concerned, yours is better than many of our members who were born and educated in this country. ...:devilish:

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Hi JJL, welcome to the forum. The 4th. gear problem is fairly common on the early 15s.

As far as your English is concerned, yours is better than many of our members who were born and educated in this country. ...:devilish:
I resemble that remark!! :p

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Just as a sterter I am going to say it seems to me that if you get the "guts" from a Valkyrie they will go in your Wing and it is an upgrade as some of the gears etc. are more heavy duty like the newer Wings use. Feel free to say where/if I am wrong.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,655 Posts
The Valkyrie engine is much the same, it just has six carbs instead of two.
and the Drive Line is much improved over the 88-96 1500s.

'97 and up have the Valkyrie drive line.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
If your set on the repair , I also would suggest looking for the Valkyrie parts. First I start with sourcing the "A" and "B" gasket sets . You will have to splint the engine case left and right halves. You will need tools to work with the clutch and source/build tools to hold the pistons while putting the case back together. Finding a late model engine would be much simpler.
If/when sourcing a replacement engine-REMEMBER the Valkyrie engine complete does not have reverse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all to your comment. i think i find a solution,i find company who can make those broken gears etc.and those tailor made parts is not much expensive, than oem parts. lets see what hapens, when i take that engine out and find out what all parts is broken.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Thanks to all to your comment. i think i find a solution,i find company who can make those broken gears etc.and those tailor made parts is not much expensive, than oem parts. lets see what hapens, when i take that engine out and find out what all parts is broken.
Not sure what to think. I would be very skeptical of a machine shop etc that can build shift forks or gears. The parts are very specialized and built to very specific specifications. I think that might be a very risky decision. ????????

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
This is probably going to be the issue. The shift fork bends, binds and burns. Here is some info and a picture to illustrate what you might be up against.

Screenshot (11)_LI.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi redwing. you might be right, but that company is spezializing to metal producting, and they are co operating with machine shop,so i think they knows what they do. if i remember right,they say those parts can make Maraging steel 1.2709 (x3nicomoti) but enyway,lets see what hapens. engine repairing is not broblem with me,i was a motorcycle mechanic about 10 years.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Keep us posted. I have been reading your post and others. Will be interesting to see how those parts are made.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Hi redwing. you might be right, but that company is spezializing to metal producting, and they are co operating with machine shop,so i think they knows what they do. if i remember right,they say those parts can make Maraging steel 1.2709 (x3nicomoti) but enyway,lets see what hapens. engine repairing is not broblem with me,i was a motorcycle mechanic about 10 years.
Well I don't mind saying that is way over my head. I had to Google the info just to fond out what it meant. Maybe you will be alright. I just would hate to see you go through all the time and money only to have another failure. I hope you have good luck and never have an issue again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That 3D printing production it is new for me.i am a old fart so i dont know that kind of method at all. but world change and new things coming up everyday. yep,i keep posting when i take that engine out .

·
Registered
425 Posts
I bought a used motor for $450.00 from a guy in Victorville about 175 miles away from me. Went and picked it up and a bunch of other stuff he had.All used parts. I found him on Ebay, He would buy used 1500's and part them out, that motor had 40,000 miles on it according to him, you never really know. I've been running it for 3 years and it has held up good. I put a shifter brace on it this year and it made a big difference. What is the saying, (buying a Pig in a Polk). Spliting the cases on a 1500 takes more talent than I have. Good luck on your repair and if it was me I would find another motor or up grade to a 1800 later model bike.

·
Administrator
26,154 Posts
What is the saying, (buying a Pig in a Polk).
Pig in a poke, a poke being a bag. You don't know what you have until you open the poke.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Good idea Jerry but I think he is from the Netherlands and I bet GL1500''s are very scarce. Just speculating :) .

·
Registered
423 Posts
Splitting any wing is easy, putting it back together is the problem, i have been working on bikes since early 70's and have rebuilt 3 of the 4 cyl wings and alĺ i can say is i really do not want to do a six, or at least not without the special tools for rings, holding rods and blocking cases. I made do with the others and it was a real swine

1 - 20 of 23 Posts