Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I'm sure the solution to this will be obvious to some of you. But I seem to be having some trouble selecting gears when the engine is warm. When first starting off, it selects up and down the range as normal. However when it gets warm down changes get a little more difficult. I have found that blipping the throttle with the clutch in before a down change makes a big difference. The bike has 27,000 recorded miles. and I have recently changed the oil using the correct 10-40 grade. Any suggestions. Many thanks

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I have to do the same thing. I'm using 15w - 40w. Bike has 58,000 miles.

Hickey

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Which year is it and is the shifter stock or has it been converted to heel/toe shifter? Can you be more specific as to what you mean by shifting becoming more "difficult"?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Some may have this issue, but both people that posted their oils are using heavier oil than is called for by Mother Honda.

I would try a 10W30, or maybe even a Synthetic just for the heck of it and see what changes? Maybe nothing but thats what I would try first.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
jobe05,

Mother Honda calls for 10w - 40w in my manual. I tried Synthetic and the bike hated it. It would not shift up or down with out a problem going into gear.

hickey

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
hmmm.... I thought my 89 calls for 10w30........

That's what I ran in it anyways because that is what the previous owner used. 121,000, heel to toe and no issues.

It was just a thought .......

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Yup- Honda recommends 10w-40, 10w-30 only under 80*F. Also advises you can use up to 20/50 depending on temps, etc.
You might try bleeding the clutch and see if some air in the line is causing an issue. Bleeder behind left side cover (when sitting on bike) down under the alternator.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Changed the clutch flowed last year. I seen Harlys rev before down shifting so maybe I just have a Harly want to be bike (just kidding).

hickey

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Yep, bleed the clutch and make sure it's releasing as it should was my first thought also.
I guess Blipping the throttle means revving up the engine a little?

When shifting without using a clutch you rev/blip the engine a bit as you down shift to a lower gear, so if that is helping you shift better then sounds like clutch may not be fully releasing.

Could be air in line, a small leak, maybe a hose expanding, weak master cylinder, any of that could cause the clutch to not get full pressure to fully release.

Not a great test, but you could try parking on a flat easy to roll on hard surface. Engine OFF put bike in neutral and push it a little ways and see how it rolls, then do same in first gear with clutch pulled in. If it is much harder to push or won't roll in gear with clutch pulled then clutch is not releasing as it should.
Not a great test though as clutch could be holding just enough to make hard shifting but not really be noticeable pushing the bike. If you do see it is much harder to push though you know clutch is not releasing enough.
Of course do this when you are having the shifting problems.

Heat can effect hoses and make them softer more mushy also, so if it gets worse when the bike is hot after riding a bit I'd look at the hoses close. The master up in the wind on the handle bars of course would not be effected by engine heat.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...You might try bleeding the clutch and see if some air in the line is causing an issue...
+1... you've probably got Air in the clutch line, which expands after the bike warms up, effectively disabling the clutch and making shifting more difficult.

You may also have to rebuild the clutch slave cylinder, as that will cause the same problem.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Yup...it really does sound like a clutch-release issue of some kind.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Not saying this is the issue on your bike, but I had problems shifting when I used synthetic oil, too. This was when the bike was fairly new.

I always use Honda 10w-40 motorcycle oil now, haven't had any more issues.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for not replying to the threads from all of you helpful riders, but I have been away for a few days. I had suspected air in the system, but as there had been no leaks I was a little sceptical. By difficult changing I mean that it required more foot pressure to change gear and neutral was becoming harder to find. I like the idea of heat affecting the hydraulic system causing the hoses to break down. I know that gear changing on a Wing is not the smoothest of actions, but I felt that things were getting more difficult and that I was having to wear heavier shoes to make successful changes. Compared to the gear change on my '55 BSA B33 a Goldwing is as smooth as a knife through a bag of marbles
Once again many thanks for the suggestions

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I agree with the clutch release issue the others described. Once that is cleared up, you can also pre-load the shifter by applying a slight pressure to it before squeezing the clutch to shift. Then when you do shift squeeze the clutch and lift or press more. Seems to make the shift more sure and crisp. The blip of the throttle on down shifting simply more closely matches engine speed to what the transmission will be traveling making for a smoother application of power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.