Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a trike together for a friend in 2011. If I remember it's a 94. He is looking to pull the handlebars back 2 inches. Is there an adapter or other bars? How far back before all new cables and such are needed? Thanks in advance!
Bill

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
To use those Les, you would have to loose the center console cover over the bars any key switch

·
Magic Moderator
4,892 Posts
MBL Innovations is making custom handlebars for the GL1500 again.
I had seen somewhere that they were taking orders to make them.
You may have to contact them. This is their website and the product is on the bottom of the page.
http://www.mblinnovations.com/index.html
Doesn't require any modifications to the bike or trike.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
To use those Les, you would have to loose the center console cover over the bars any key switch
Hummm, OK Stu - I stand corrected... Actually, I have never seen risers for the 1500 as the stock bars could be raised up and down to some degree... My google search led me to that add... When I had my 1500, I always thought it was comfortable enough the way it was although I did raise the bars a bit...

My recently purchased 1800 was a different story... My shoulders ached after every ride so I put a set of MBL risers on it and pulled the bars back 1 1/4" and up 3/4"- problem solved...

Les

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I had not, until now, heard about MBL Innovations giving this another go.

Given the current tally, it looks to me like it's going to be a struggle to get 30 prepaid orders.

Would be nice to see before-after comparison photos of the handlebars installed and someone sitting on the bike to show the sitting position...maybe that would generate more orders?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
MBL Innovations is making custom handlebars for the GL1500 again.
I had seen somewhere that they were taking orders to make them.
You may have to contact them. This is their website and the product is on the bottom of the page.
http://www.mblinnovations.com/index.html
Doesn't require any modifications to the bike or trike.
MBL bars are not bigger than the stock bars. They have different bend angles in the bars only. That is why I didn't order a set after finding that out.

I too have been on the hunt for taller bars. The problem lies in that the base mount is 1" bar stock and at the grip area it is swedged down to 7/8" bar size for the grips and controls. I think I read a post on cutting and welding in extension pieces in each side of the stock bars. So to get taller bars is more than a challenge to get ready made bars to fit the 1500 wing.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Hoses and the choke & throttle cables would need to be replaced with taller bars too, along with wires rerouted or lengthened if necessary depending on how much taller bars are used or setbacks used. You might get away with 1" but 2" would most likely require longer from experience recall of all the bars I changed on CB750s in the 70s. 2" put too much strain on the cables, clutch and throttle, which you might find a shop back then that had a stock of cables to match up a little longer length, today to find a shop that has a good inventory, maybe, maybe not. They are getting fewer and farther to find in the new style shop where it's little in stock inventory and special order all parts to keep overhead lower. I just went into an old local shop yesterday that changed hands in the past 3 months. Gone are the hanging throttle cables and k&l kits. Replaced them with sterilized painted walls . The owner used to have a carpet cleaning business and some other start up business. Ya he rode a Yamaha virago and dirt bikes. Another old time shop bites the dust.
Brake and clutch hydrolic hoses can be custom made longer by a hose shop. Just go the extra expense of stainless steel hoses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.