Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

I have a little question.

The fuel filter on my 1500 GL has around 25 000 miles. The bike runs fine. Should I change the fuel filter ? Is there an interval determined by Honda to change it ?

Thanks very much in advance for answers and experiences.

Good night (at least here, in France !)

Guillaume

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
8k is the interval for the stock Honda Filter (or equivalent Emgo).

I use aftermarket Automotive filter, and change at 20k (cheaper too)

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
In my area fuel has a really good reputation. I have 90K on mine and still working fine. If a filter begins to plug it is fairly obvious when the bike begins to lose power during hard acceleration. Another symptom is the air in the filter will lessen or disappear. It isn't as important as an oil filter etc. Use your own discretion. :)

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
I always just changed mine every other year. Easy and cheap.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
In the operators and the service manual there is only "Inspect at every 8000mi / 13000km" statement for the fuel lines.

I changed my fuel filter last year at 100.000km and it was still clean as opened it up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi to all of you!

Thank you very much for your answers!

I would like to ask you the same questions concerning the air filter and spark plugs.

I was about to change my air filter which has 20 000 miles (Honda says you have to replace it every 12 000 miles), but it is nearly as clean as a new one.

I have seen on the forum that some members would keep their air filter for much longer (40 000 - 50 000 miles).

The same goes for spark plugs, some members keep them for very long mileage (some keep them for 50 000 miles), whereas Honda says you have to replace them every 8000 miles.

How often do you replace the air filter and spark plugs ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your indications !

I wish you a very nice week-end!

Guillaume

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
For the spark plugs, I think the 8000mi/13000km is too short, so I replace them at 26000km.
And, I think the air filter changing period can also be 26000km.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
change the air filter when it's dirty..check every 10,000 or so miles..plugs will show wear..the tip and the electrode will wear down check the plugs every 15,000 or so..

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
A lot of this depends on the area you ride. In dusty areas you will probably need to change the filter more often. I would change it every 25 -30000 miles in normal riding conditions. Plugs xcan go 25000 easily. think, how often do you change the air filter in your car?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
A lot of this depends on the area you ride. In dusty areas you will probably need to change the filter more often...

Exactly right... I typically go 20k on the bike's air filter, yet in my truck (which goes off road) if I wait to 5k then it is Caked with dirt.

·
Administrator
21,866 Posts
I remember, probably 20 years ago, Bike and I were going somewhere and, as usual back then, pushing it across Nevada. During the longer stretches of open road, Bike would act like it was having issues. Hard to pin down, but like it was running low on power. No symptoms in Oregon or Washington with their lower speed limits and shorter distances between towns.

Same symptoms though, any time we got to roll for any length of time.

It finally occurred to me I was running out of fuel so I replaced the filter and all was well. When I opened up that filter, it was mush inside. It was one of the Emgo OEM look alike filters and, the last one I ever bought.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just replaced my spark plugs, fuel filter, and air filter at 34,000 miles. The spark plugs were at the high end of the gap limit, so they were ready. The air filter was dirty, but not that bad. The fuel filter was clean, but the plastic case was dark and getting brittle from the ethanol gas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
spark plugs have come a long way since the 80's. copper plug you use to be lucky to get 30k miles out of them. platinum was a game changer @ 60k. and now with iridium plugs they advertise 100k/lifetime. i use iridium plugs but change them out @ 60k. the reason being that as spark plug gap increases with wear / mileage it causes an increase in resistance of the ignition circuit. this makes both your coil work harder to jump the gap, and with the increase in power required to do this also accelerates spark plug wires wearing out sooner do to being cooked more/faster.

air filters are environment related. if you are in a dusty area or ride dirt roads 10-15k miles. otherwise non dusty conditions i check at 30k and most will show signs of moderate contamination. 45k they need it in my opinion. ymmv.

·
Administrator
21,866 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree that the more expensive plugs are any better than what comes in the bike.

I have a friend who put over 200K on his original plugs (GL1500) and when one of the new plugs failed, he replaced it with an original. That plug was in the bike when he sold it with with over 300K on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
fuel filter and other things...

My fuel filter has 60-80k miles on it, I suppose I should change it out... (ya think?!) I noticed after doing an alt conversion on my 86 aspy that mileage dropped from my usual 48-51 mpg to low 40's and I thought maybe the extra effort of turning a tight alt belt might have been the cause, but then also thought about plugs, wires and the filter- all original when I bought the bike at 21K miles. I use MMO with every 3-5 tanks and also use it as storage stabilizer over winter- always starts up within 2 seconds of cranking after sitting all winter and runs great, so I might have been lucky that the MMO was keeping the filter relatively clean as well...

So I'm thinking it's time to replace all- plugs, wires, fuel and air filter- this spring. I did have the plugs out to check them after my 4,500 mile trip in August 2018 and they still looked almost new. Your thoughts? And where to purchase these? not a fan of aftermarket unless someone recommends a source...

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I would avoid Emgo fuel filter. Mine disintegrated in the Utah desert. I only use OEM now on the GL1500.

·
Administrator
21,866 Posts
Thanks Val. That matches the number I found on eBay. It is the same as the GL15. Why would Western say it's not available? Lately they're acting like they want to rid themselves of all us irritating old parts customers.

And sorry Guillaume, your thread is kind of getting hijacked. Personally I think you should change the filter. 25K sounds like a good number. Write the date and mileage on the new filter, if you don't keep those numbers in a log.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts