Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guy’s

My 1997 in very good condition 100.000 km on the clock and carbs where dirty so I removed and overhaul carbs installed new OEM diaphragms, new vacuum hoses the two in front of carb , the one behind the carb and one on the left. Start and run’s fine choke works fine idle is smooth mixture screw and carb synchro excellent.

The ghost appears When riding for A few minutes let’s say idle is set to 950 rpm . I After riding and hot idle is slow to return while shifting and now it idles at 1150 rpm.

if I let it sit it stays at 1150 rpm . I just shut it off wait 5 seconds and restart without touching anything it then idles back at 950 rpm and always very smooth.

Grrrrrr.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I would suspect a vacuum leak somewhere. 950 r.p.m. still sounds like too fast of a idle. Seems like my old 1500s would do 850 r.p.m. at idle with no problem. I would try turning the idle adjustment screw just ahead of gas cap till it idles at lowest r.p.m. If no lower that 950 r.p.m. will work, you probably still have plugged idle circuit.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I agree with Gumby. I would also check the idle air screws. Might try turning the out a bit. If you are adjusting idle drop at 950 maybe that is too high. I think 750 is peachy but not sure what the book says. At 950 maybe it has started to run on the main jet and that would not be a good time to adjust idle drop?????

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
on both of my 1500s, I set the idle at ~1000 so the alternator can keep up with the lights

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the great tips I will have a day off and look into Wednesday

more to follow

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys

got the time to open up the Tupperware and check all my work hopping it is something simple. Will checked all around from choke plunger to cables and cruise finally no choice but getting a freind to help and check idle mix screw. Oufffff left 2.5 turn right I just don’t know what happened and how it was able to run it was shut off completely....

I did the sequence and now 3. Turns each did the cab synchro and now it purrs like a baby kitten.
Thanks for supports and suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts